openssh-3.0.2p1-1 and RedHat 7.1 and RPM hell

openssh-3.0.2p1-1 and RedHat 7.1 and RPM hell

Post by Chri » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:18:06

I'm not really familiar with RPMs, but due to some issues with trying
to get the OpenSSH tarball configured in the distant past, I used RPMS
on some of my RedHat 7.1 machines. I am currently running
openssh-2.9p2-1 and would like to upgrade to the latest version of
SSH. However, when I try to install the pre-built RPMs, I get errors
that it needs libraries like /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.2 and I have so.1
-- I guess they were made for RedHat 7.2 (as the directory says)..

Anyway, when I try to rebuild the RPMS, I get these errors:
perl   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1
        XFree86-devel   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1
        gnome-libs-devel   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1

I can install the devel libraries (though they seem to need all kinds
of other RPMS, ad nauseum), but I am concerned about installing a new
perl, which I installed from the tarball and have all updated and
running the way I want.

So am I stuck with the source tarball?

Post by Yuriy Pavlo » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 03:05:01

> I'm not really familiar with RPMs, but due to some issues with trying
> to get the OpenSSH tarball configured in the distant past, I used RPMS
> on some of my RedHat 7.1 machines. I am currently running
> openssh-2.9p2-1 and would like to upgrade to the latest version of
> SSH. However, when I try to install the pre-built RPMs, I get errors
> that it needs libraries like /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.2 and I have so.1
> -- I guess they were made for RedHat 7.2 (as the directory says)..

> Anyway, when I try to rebuild the RPMS, I get these errors:
> perl   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1
>         XFree86-devel   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1
>         gnome-libs-devel   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1

> I can install the devel libraries (though they seem to need all kinds
> of other RPMS, ad nauseum), but I am concerned about installing a new
> perl, which I installed from the tarball and have all updated and
> running the way I want.

> So am I stuck with the source tarball?

Before installing OpenSSH you need to install OpenSSL and ZLib, for
OpenSSH uses all encription libraries from those pecks. Actually, you
could've read this in README or INSTALLATION files.

openssh-3.0.2p1-1 and RedHat 7.1 and RPM hell

Post by Chri » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:21:22

Quote:> > Anyway, when I try to rebuild the RPMS, I get these errors:
> > perl   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1
> >         XFree86-devel   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1
> >         gnome-libs-devel   is needed by openssh-3.0.2p1-1

> > I can install the devel libraries (though they seem to need all kinds
> > of other RPMS, ad nauseum), but I am concerned about installing a new
> > perl, which I installed from the tarball and have all updated and
> > running the way I want.

> > So am I stuck with the source tarball?

> Before installing OpenSSH you need to install OpenSSL and ZLib, for
> OpenSSH uses all encription libraries from those pecks. Actually, you
> could've read this in README or INSTALLATION files.

I did read the README/INSTALLATION files when I was trying the tarball
and I do have the encryption libraries you mentioned installed. That
was some time ago and is beside the point (I think).

As I have indicated, I am not at this point using the tarball anymore.
So my question is, can I get around the dependencies above in some way
in the RPM packages? If not, I will probably have a different issue
with the tarball, but right now that is not the issue...

Thanks!