Old twm Problem still in R6: Can't rlogin!!

Old twm Problem still in R6: Can't rlogin!!

Post by Brian Capouc » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 15:22:43

I have been battling this problem since our first days with Linux, now
almost two years ago.  I gave up on it, and figured I'd see it fixed in
X11R6, but alas, I've installed that now, and it's still there.

Here's what happens: we run xdm on a linux box, managing the X server on
that same box.  User logs in.  We set up to have the user run twm, then
start an xterm (more or less right out of the Xsession that comes with
the X distribution).

Problem: the user can't use the twm buttons to do an rlogin unless s/he
first exits from twm and then restarts it.  I suspect that the problem
lies with the fact that twm is not "assigned" to a pseudo-terminal when
run like this, but is once the xterm has been fired up?

Does this problem look familiar?  Better, does anybody know the fix?

I've been through the FAQs, and can't find a thing.  Our users would be
a lot more apt to choose Linux over SunOS if we could figure this thing
out. . . .

Thanks in advance.

Brian Capouch
Saint Joseph's College

Post by Wolfram Glog » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 21:22:38

>Problem: the user can't use the twm buttons to do an rlogin unless s/he
>first exits from twm and then restarts it.  I suspect that the problem
>lies with the fact that twm is not "assigned" to a pseudo-terminal when
>run like this, but is once the xterm has been fired up?
>Does this problem look familiar?  Better, does anybody know the fix?

This may or may not be relevant to your case.  I have found that
for some reason the tty speed in xterms run from xdm is zero,
and rlogin to a Sun box didn't like this.  So I put the
following in my ~/.bashrc:

case $- in *i*)
 if [ `stty speed` = 0 ]; then
  stty speed 9600 >/dev/null 2>&1
 fi
 stty cs8 -istrip
 ;;
esac

Then rlogin is happy.

Wolfram.

1. old apps don't find X11R5 libs after R6 install

After saving my old Xapps binaries I installed a complete new
Linux with X11R6. When I now try to execute my old x apps, I
get messages like:

xloadimage: can't load library '//libX11.so.3'
        No such library.

I found that there are links in the /usr/X11R6/lib directory, pointing
to /usr/X11R5/lib, so that should work. I linked the libs also to
/usr/X11/lib, but that didn't work.

Anyone an idea?

Bye
Maik

2. problem about gcc3.2 on solaris8(intel)

3. My linux refuses 'rlogin' 'telnet' what is the problem??

4. MOTIF/X-WINDOWS EXPERTS (CURSOR CHANGE QUESTION) !!!!!!!

5. Problem in getting screen size when 'rlogin' and 'telnet'

6. how to play audio CDs with IDE Sony CDU-311 ATAPI drive?

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Need Help To remove Linux Urgently

10. X Windows and my old old old old video card

11. TWM: How Do I get X to use Gnome instead of TWM

12. 'rlogin' problem