Advice sought: Setting up new drives for news feed

Advice sought: Setting up new drives for news feed

Post by Mike McLag » Thu, 17 Feb 1994 13:49:16

Hi,

   I'm just got 2 new drives, and I want to use them as the center of a system
receiving a full news feed.  I'm installing Linux from scratch on them, so I
have a change to do with them as I will.  What I'd like is any answers to the
following questions.

1.  Where should I mount the second drive?  /var/spool or /var/spool/news ?
2.  How should I split the drives?  They're 1.8G and fdisk is showing them
    with 2k blocks.  Should I try to get this down to 1k?
3.  How should I split the reserved space?  On the second drive, should I
    set it to 0?
4.  What would be a good inode number for a drive with a full feed, and/or
    the other drive?
5.  How well will this size drive handle the feed?  For how long can I keep
    things around?
6.  Are there other performance related issues?

   Thanks for your help.

   Mike was here...

Post by Michael Horwa » Mon, 21 Feb 1994 15:54:33

: 1.  Where should I mount the second drive?  /var/spool or /var/spool/news ?

/usr/spool/news is the normal place to mount the news directories (at least
in what I have done).

: 2.  How should I split the drives?  They're 1.8G and fdisk is showing them
:     with 2k blocks.  Should I try to get this down to 1k?

For news, use one big partition on one drive.

: 3.  How should I split the reserved space?  On the second drive, should I
:     set it to 0?

Set it for 3% or so, this helps keep inode thrashing down, and lets you
copy things as root if the need arises.

: 4.  What would be a good inode number for a drive with a full feed, and/or
:     the other drive?

mke2fs -i 3072 -m 3 /dev/sd?1

this creates an inode for every 3 K (default is 4K) and reserved space of
3% which should be just dandy.

: 5.  How well will this size drive handle the feed?  For how long can I keep
:     things around?

I have a 1.6 gig partition on my news subsystem here.  Currently, about 800
megs carries my comp.* and news.* 10 days, and everything else 6 days.

: 6.  Are there other performance related issues?

Hmm..  Shouldn't be.  Keep a watch on it as the drive starts to become busy.

We had a problem here with all the users beating on the system, while
news was still on the same system, once I moved news to another machine,
things became alot more stable.

:    Mike was here...

Why yes, I was :)

--

Twin Cities area Internet Access:  612-941-9177 for more info