problem regarding bash shell

Post by root » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:53:04

hi there,

  i have a problem with bash shell.i want to know that where shell
variables stored.can u anybody suggest me.
with regards,
itmncm
---

Post by Bit Twiste » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:17:07

> hi there,

>   i have a problem with bash shell.i want to know that where shell
> variables stored.can u anybody suggest me.

Please read

It always helps if you provide some basic system information and what
you are having problems with when you post questions to the
news groups.

That info helps us to provide better examples/responses.

Which window manager/desktop environment,
they have different icons and file access locations.

There are several "linuxes":  Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, Debian, Mandrake,
Caldera, Corel, Yellow Lab, Black Lab, WinLinux, PhatLinux, Linux On A
Floppy, slinux, Trinux, Peanut and
(Rock, Armed, Stampede, Tiny. Power, Coyote) Linux, to name a few.

Always provide what distro and release level you are using
when you post questions (Redhat 6.1, Suse 5.0, Mandrake 8.2,...).

Different distros have different commands, files, and links to files,
pacakges and package/software managers.
Even happens between release levels of the same distribution.

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:49:16

> > hi there,

> >   i have a problem with bash shell.i want to know that where shell
> > variables stored.can u anybody suggest me.

The "SmAss(tm)" answer is "memory" but probably isn't really what you were
asking.

Quote:

> It always helps if you provide some basic system information and what
> you are having problems with when you post questions to the
> news groups.

This is the heart of my non-answer -- not enough info to give a better one.

JW

problem regarding bash shell

Post by Xyer » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:41:18

Indeed, there is not much of a question there - but then I guess we
have to excuse the extremely poor English and attempt to guess.

My guess is that he is asking about how to use environmental
variables. I think they are asking about the command "env".

Eg.:

# env
HOSTNAME=rebel-yell.homenet.com
TERM=xterm

with individual variables accessed like this:

# echo $HOSTNAME
rebel-yell.homenet.com

or set like this

# export HOSTNAME=mypc.homenet.com