lpd, Ghostview and umount

Post by LMRu » Mon, 04 Oct 1993 01:20:02

Hi Netters,
I checked the FAQs, Digests and HOWTOs throroughly and I couldn't find a
solution to these problems I'm having.

1.      I can't get the lpd to stay in the memory. I've put /etc/lpd in the
rc file. When I want to print a file with lpr "filename" it gives me back
a message saying that the file is being queued but that no daemon is
running. The file gets in the queue but it doesn't print out until I call
lpd. After that the story starts again: lpr "filename" just puts the
filename in the queue and I have to type lpd to get it printed. I checked
all the help on this in the Printing-HOWTO and the archives for this
newsgroups and tried all the things suggested (like creating a dir
/usr/spool/lpd and files .seq, lock, status, changing the mode and ownerships
of lpr,lpq,lpd,  etc) but nothing works.
        A related problem (I think) is that Ghostview doesn't want to print
any postscript files (when I choose to print a file and then I do a ps x to
see if Ghostview called gs I see: gs -sDEVICE=x11 -dNOPAUSE -dSAFE but I don't
see a file name like I do when I gsprint). I'm using gsprint "filename"
right now to print psfiles.
        Any advice on these 2 things because I've tried everything I could
think or saw on the net?

2.      When I use the shutdown command by second drive doesn't want to
umount (It says sda2 cannot umount). My second drive is running off a
Adaptec 1522 and I mounted it under the /home directory. I'd really like to
umount it before I shut down because I don't want to end up with the hole
thing in the lost+found.
        Any advice?

I would really appreciate any advice on these problems and I will post a
summary on the net if I get any responses. After reading the archives of
these newsgroup it seems to me that quite a few other people had these
problems.

BTW, Linux/XWindows are the greatest. I'm a newbie at this (3 1/2 weeks) and
I only used MSWindows a couple of times since then. How can you use MSWindows
after using Linux/XWindows? :)

Regards,
Larry

--

1. lpd, Ghostview and umount

[...]

2. dial-in and dial-out

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. "Best" UNIX to study, etc.

5. Forced umount (was lazy umount)

6. ghostview

7. Can someone post lpd.conf and lpd.perm files

8. IPC test driver

9. lpd on commanline does nothing...and it's there at /usr/sbin/lpd ?

10. Setting up plp/lpd for lpd only

11. lpd - can't connect? lpd.perms OK?

12. Linux's LPD problem... any newer lpd?

13. lpd to lpd