Screen locks on X shutdown!

Post by Marden H Seav » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 21:17:25

Hi Everybody!  Please help.  I entered this plea in mid August but had
no responses from anyone.  Getting desparate!

On exit from our logout X window the screen locks up: we get 2 horizontal
black lines and a lot of vertical blue ones plus much flickering on the
screen.  We can't get to any of the other VCs, and must re-boot.  Prior
to exit, everything looks and runs normally in X.

We're using an AST SVGA-NI monitor and AST Bravo MT 4/66d with Linux 1.09
and the XFree86 ver 2.1   The Xconfig file we're using is very close to
the Xconfig.23 from the sample directory.  SuperProbe says the chipset is
ATI 68800-6 with attached coprocessor ATI Mach-32 and 1Kb video memory.

We have captured the error message which is as follows:

Waiting for X server to shut down XIO:  fatal IO error 2 (broken pipe) on
X server ":0.0"
           after 471 requests (471 known processed) with 0 events remaining

xinit:  X server slow to shut down, sending KILL signal.

waiting for server to die

xinit:  Unknown error (errno 0):  Client error.

Does anyone have an inkling of what the problem might be?  Some jumpers not
set properly somewhere?  The AST Bravo has the video stuff integrated into
the motherboard.  Has anyone successfully used X under Linux with an AST
Bravo pc?

Thanks very very much for your help.

Screen locks on X shutdown!

Post by Jay Schliesk » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 15:21:36

Quote:> Hi Everybody!  Please help.  I entered this plea in mid August but had
> no responses from anyone.  Getting desparate!

> On exit from our logout X window the screen locks up: we get 2 horizontal
> black lines and a lot of vertical blue ones plus much flickering on the
> screen.  We can't get to any of the other VCs, and must re-boot.  Prior
> to exit, everything looks and runs normally in X.

> We're using an AST SVGA-NI monitor and AST Bravo MT 4/66d with Linux 1.09
> and the XFree86 ver 2.1   The Xconfig file we're using is very close to
> the Xconfig.23 from the sample directory.  SuperProbe says the chipset is
> ATI 68800-6 with attached coprocessor ATI Mach-32 and 1Kb video memory.

Hi,

I have a strong suspicion it is an ATI specific problem. I once
was a member of the ATI "driver of the week" club. Seems not even
*they* know how to properly interface their boards in non-windows
environments.

ATI seems to present as an 8514 to the operating system, at least, in
OS/2, and in that environment, needs their "ring 0" driver, if I rem-
ember correctly, to work properly. I suggest commenting out the VGA *
lines in your Xconfig and see if that does it. (make sure the ACCEL sec-
tion is NOT commented out)

Its been a while since I've gone through the modeDB.txt file, but you
might look for configurations specific to ATI setups.

Also, there is a newer version of xinit that fixes the "unknown error"
problem, available on sunsite. I doubt that will fix your problem, but
it will at least fix *that* possibility. I suggest replacing that too.
Anyways, it will fix the unknown error problem.

Good luck!

> We have captured the error message which is as follows:

> Waiting for X server to shut down XIO:  fatal IO error 2 (broken pipe) on
> X server ":0.0"
>            after 471 requests (471 known processed) with 0 events remaining

> xinit:  X server slow to shut down, sending KILL signal.

> waiting for server to die

> xinit:  Unknown error (errno 0):  Client error.

> Does anyone have an inkling of what the problem might be?  Some jumpers not
> set properly somewhere?  The AST Bravo has the video stuff integrated into
> the motherboard.  Has anyone successfully used X under Linux with an AST
> Bravo pc?

> Thanks very very much for your help.

  - Jay                      o
         Jay Schlieske     <#<         " Above all.... have fun. "
  +*+ Credits: smartmail __>^>__  by * Linux-Pine3.90-Smail-Term201-PoP +*+
----------   #include  <std/disclaimer.h>   -------------------------------

1. Locking Screen Totally LOCKS me out

Blaugh!

    FreeBSD 3.3 system, hand built X11R6 in /usr/local/X11R6.

    I downloaded the KDE sources and built them, putting the stuff in
/usr/local/kde/*

    Then, when I right click on the desktop and choose "Lock Screen", it
does what I'd expect, and puts up a passwd dialog.

    However, no matter WHAT I type in this dialog, it simply won't let me
back in.  I have to kill the server.

    Did something get wacked out with the passwd authentication in my KDE
build?

    Thanks.

    marc.

2. IMAP compile dies looking for shadow lib -- what and where?

3. How to lock terminal without locking screen

4. WindowMaker, IceWM, Blackbox, Enlightenment, ... - Which to Choose?

5. CDE : Screen saver must lock the screen

6. LinuxPPC fun time !

7. Screen lock vs. screen saver question...

8. RPM install for Mandrake

9. Screen Savers, Locking Screen

10. Lock the screen without affecting on-screen rendering?

11. netscape rpm from compaq + my box = lock lock lock

12. SOLUTION: graceful shutdown after keyboard lock/also kill hung X session

13. X shutdown/ctrl.alt.bck locks up system