Bad Magic Number in Superblock - Recoverable?

Bad Magic Number in Superblock - Recoverable?

Post by John Moo » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 05:12:18

When I booted my computer it reported an error on one of the partitions
of "Bad Magic Number in Superblock.  The only recovery I new of was
to do a mkfs on the ext2 partition and recover from a backup tape.

Is there a way to try to recover from  this type of error or not.

I am using Slackware 2.0 with a 1.1.59 kernal.  The disk is a 1 gig
SCSI drive.  Was there a better recovery method than reinstalling?

Thank You
John

1. Bad Magic Number in Superblock - Recoverable?

   Date: 21 Jan 1995 15:12:18 -0500

   When I booted my computer it reported an error on one of the partitions
   of "Bad Magic Number in Superblock.  The only recovery I new of was
   to do a mkfs on the ext2 partition and recover from a backup tape.

   Is there a way to try to recover from  this type of error or not.

   I am using Slackware 2.0 with a 1.1.59 kernal.  The disk is a 1 gig
   SCSI drive.  Was there a better recovery method than reinstalling?

Yes.... this sometimes works: "e2fsck -f -b 8193 <device>"

What this does is tell e2fsck to use the backup superblock, and this can
sometimes allow you to recover your data.  The next release of e2fsck
will give more explicit directions in the error message it prints when
it notices that the superblock has gotten corrupted.

                                                - Ted

2. Compiling npasswd

3. bad partition on good disk won't mount or fsck (bad magic number/superblock)

4. One user, several groups?

5. Bad Superblock -> Bad Magic Number ->Segmentation fault?

6. 64 bit binary and 32 bit binary have different result. Is it library bug or compiler bug?

7. Defrag reports bad magic number in superblock?

8. uucp rmail completion notice problem...

9. Bad magic number in superblock!!!

10. e2fs: bad magic number in superblock, help !!

11. BAD MAGIC NUMBER IN SUPERBLOCK

12. Bad magic number in superblock: Help!

13. growfs says: Bad superblock; wrong magic number