Can my old 2 GB 386 running Linux

Post by wang.. » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 07:01:04

I have an old 386 with AMI BIOS dated Feb. 1989 which does not
have IDE support from the BIOS. I bought an ADP-60 IDE adapter
with BIOS support on the adapter which worked for my OS/2 and
DOS, but not Linux.

To install Linux, I bought a 1.75 GB SCSI hard disk with Future Domain
1680 SCSI card.

Right now I partitioned my hard disk using DOS fdisk as
follow:

hdisk1: IDE 340 MB - OS/2 dual boot and DOS 6 - one primary partition.
hdisk2: SCSI 1.75 GB - One extended partition with about 1.2 GB for
DOS/OS2 stuff, one primary DOS partition has 400 MB.

I would like to install linux onto hdisk2 primary DOS partition(I believe
I should delete that DOS primary partition on hdisk2 before I install Linux).

The tricky part is that system loads IDE BIOS from IDE adapter before
load SCSI BIOS from SCSI card. PC always boot from IDE first,
I cannot make SCSI as a DOS bootable device. I guess even I install
Linux to SCSI drive, it will looking for boot sector from IDE.
Anyway, I got some confuse here - I must be able to install Linux onto
this machine, because Linux recognize my SCSI drive. But Which
is a good way ?-)

Can OS/2 Boot Manager or LILO solve my problem, which enable me to
select Linux, DOS, or OS/2? Can you write your suggestion of
procedure to partition, format, install system software?

Thank you.

Philip Wang
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center

Post by Herbert » Sun, 06 Feb 1994 18:20:03

: Can OS/2 Boot Manager or LILO solve my problem, which enable me to
: select Linux, DOS, or OS/2? Can you write your suggestion of
: procedure to partition, format, install system software?

LILO can be used to boot Linux from the secondary harddisk if you put it
into the primary harddisk's MBR.
--

A member of the APANA network in Sydney, NSW, Australia.