Accessing W2K shares as a normal user with Samba

Accessing W2K shares as a normal user with Samba

Post by Gary Dal » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:58:26

Forgive what may be a basic question, but I can't find an answer in the
mans or howtos.

I'm running Debian 3/testing.

I su then mount a W2K share with:
   mount -t smbfs //server/share /mntpt -o username=myacct/domain
and type in the myacct password. This works. From the su'd shell I have
full access to the share.

When I try to access the share from my normal account, using X programs
like OpenOffice.org, Mozilla, Advanced Editor, etc., I can usually read
and save files to the share but I can't create new ones (including
saving files from these progams).

Also, swat doesn't work on my system. I've installed it and modified
xinetd, etc. to allow it, but I can't connect to swat.

Any suggestions for either problem?

Accessing W2K shares as a normal user with Samba

Post by retributio » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:34:24

It sounds like the problem may actually be the ntfs or sharing permissions
rather than samba.  I don't know what you're level of knowledge is, so
please don't take any offense if I'm stating the obvious to you here.  You
need to set both the ntfs perms and the sharing perms.  By default the
Everyone group in win2k has full control to shares when you setup a share,
so that is probably ok, unless you changed it, but perhaps something is
wrong with the ntfs permissions.

Quote:> Forgive what may be a basic question, but I can't find an answer in the
> mans or howtos.

> I'm running Debian 3/testing.

> I su then mount a W2K share with:
>    mount -t smbfs //server/share /mntpt -o username=myacct/domain
> and type in the myacct password. This works. From the su'd shell I have
> full access to the share.

> When I try to access the share from my normal account, using X programs
> like OpenOffice.org, Mozilla, Advanced Editor, etc., I can usually read
> and save files to the share but I can't create new ones (including
> saving files from these progams).

> Also, swat doesn't work on my system. I've installed it and modified
> xinetd, etc. to allow it, but I can't connect to swat.

> Any suggestions for either problem?

Accessing W2K shares as a normal user with Samba

Post by Gary Dal » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 01:31:05

I changed to the Share permission to give Everyone & Authenticated Users
full control but that had no impact. I also tried remounting the share
to make sure it picked up the new permissions. Still no luck.

Because I have a permament Internet connection, I change the Share
permissions to give Authenticated Users Change & Read access and
Administrators full control. This works as expected with Windows boxes
connecting to shares.

The account I use to connect with is in the Administrator's group in any
event.

I even went so far as to reinstall Debian in case there was a problem
with my setup, which had been upgraded from Potato. This time I
installed directly from Debian/Sarge, using an XFS patched setup CD onto
a new HD. I'm still getting the same problem.

Post by Gary Dal » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 14:27:58

I changed to the Share permission to give Everyone & Authenticated Users
full control but that had no impact. I also tried remounting the share
to make sure it picked up the new permissions. Still no luck.

Because I have a permament Internet connection, I change the Share
permissions to give Authenticated Users Change & Read access and
Administrators full control. This works as expected with Windows boxes
connecting to shares.

The account I use to connect with is in the Administrator's group in any
event.

I even went so far as to reinstall Debian in case there was a problem
with my setup, which had been upgraded from Potato. This time I
installed directly from Debian/Sarge, using an XFS patched setup CD onto
a new HD. I'm still getting the same problem.

   > It sounds like the problem may actually be the ntfs or sharing
permissions
   > rather than samba.  I don't know what you're level of knowledge is, so
   > please don't take any offense if I'm stating the obvious to you here.
    You
   > need to set both the ntfs perms and the sharing perms.  By default the
   > Everyone group in win2k has full control to shares when you setup a
share,
   > so that is probably ok, unless you changed it, but perhaps something is
   > wrong with the ntfs permissions.
   >

   >>Forgive what may be a basic question, but I can't find an answer in the
   >>mans or howtos.
   >>
   >>I'm running Debian 3/testing.
   >>
   >>I su then mount a W2K share with:
   >>   mount -t smbfs //server/share /mntpt -o username=myacct/domain
   >>and type in the myacct password. This works. From the su'd shell I have
   >>full access to the share.
   >>
   >>When I try to access the share from my normal account, using X programs
   >>like OpenOffice.org, Mozilla, Advanced Editor, etc., I can usually read
   >>and save files to the share but I can't create new ones (including
   >>saving files from these progams).
   >>
   >>Also, swat doesn't work on my system. I've installed it and modified
   >>xinetd, etc. to allow it, but I can't connect to swat.
   >>
   >>Any suggestions for either problem?

1. Getting access for normal users through samba and Win95

Hey all

I am currently playing around with RH 5.0 and Samba. I use smbmount to
mount a Win95 directory over a small network. However, I can not set
the directory permissions when mounting the Win95 box.

Before mounting the directory, it looks similar to this...

drwxr-xr--  root  root   Win95-mount

After mounting with the command 'smbmount', it changes to:

d---------    root   root  Win95-mount

I can not use 'chmod' to change the permissions and I have played with
smbmount to no solutions. I have full access to both the linux box and
Win 95.

I have been playing with this for a while and still can not get it to
work.

P.S I haven't upgraded yet since purcashing the standard redhat
package... i think its 1.9.17p4-3 if thats needed.

Any help is greatly appreicated - Please could you respond by email as
well as I only have limited access to news.
Nick Brandon
(Please remove 'antispam.' from email address for replies)

2. JAVA??? I'm Lame or Something

3. Samba on Sun Solaris 2.6: Some users still can't access share

4. Solaris NEO and NIS passwd

5. I can map the Mandrake samba share, but I can't smbmount the w2k drive?

6. Delay on system startup

7. W2K<->Samba Share Failure

8. semi-stupid question...

9. Samba W2K access problem

10. Debian/Samba connecting to W2K Domain shares

11. SAMBA create permissions on a W2K share

12. Accessing an NFS-Share from Linux on W2K-Server

13. accessing W2k shares from Linux?