utmp not updated after rsh

Post by Dave Albone » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 01:09:58

Sorry if this is a repost.  My first post appears to have been sent to
/dev/null.

My issue involves the updating of /etc/utmp.  When I do an rlogin from
a remote machine to my linux machine, then do a 'who -m', I get the
following:

linuxmachine!albonesi ttyp0    Dec 15 10:24 (remotemachine.domain)

However, when I use xrsh to connect to my linux machine
('xrsh linuxmachine xterm &'), which does the equivalent of
'rsh -n linuxmachine "setenv DISPLAY remotemachine:0;xterm" &',
and do a 'who -m' in the resulting xterm, I get:

linuxmachine!albonesi ttyp0    Dec 15 10:30 ( )

In other words, utmp doesn't get updated.  In other flavors of Unix
(Ultrix, OSF, HPUX, SunOS), utmp DOES get updated using rsh in this
way.  Does anyone know why it doesn't on linux?  Thanks.

Dave

---
Dave Albonesi

Knowles Engineering Building          phone: (413) 545-4492
University of Massachusetts           FAX:   (413) 545-4652
Amherst, MA  01003

1. xterms not updating utmp

My xterms/color_xterms are *not* updating the
utmp file (it looks like I am still logged in
after I have killed the window).  I have tried
(and failed) in recompiling both xterm and
color_xterm.  Some questions:  where is the
patch to the source or is there a handy pre-compiled
binary floating about?

I am fairly sure that the upgrade of libc broke
the xterms.

--
steve

2. WIll Linux work with VIA Apollo VP2 on FIC PA-2008?

3. utmp not updating

4. MMAP ()

5. xterms not updating utmp

6. DNS Setup

7. xterm not updating utmp on exit

8. PostgresSQL?

9. /etc/utmp not updated, why ?

10. in.ttysnoopd not updating utmp on exit ?

11. utmp not getting updated correctly when a user logs out

12. rsh does not return: rsh -n spica /etc/init.d/autofs start ?

13. rsh, rexec and utmp