DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post by Mark A. Horton KA4Y » Sun, 25 Sep 1994 22:52:17

                mount -r -t raving.human /dev/keyboard /soapbox

Do we have to have all this *about a GAME cluttering up every single Linux
group?  I fail to see the relevance to c.o.l.admin, c.o.l.development,
c.o.l.a, etc.  It's a GAME, guys... NOT part of the OS!  If that's the most
important thing you do with Linux, I respectfully submit that you are
wasting a lot of money on a microcomputer... just go out and buy a Nintendo...
you'd probably be happier.

                                umount /soapbox

        - Mark

--
"Linux!     Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus."

+1.404.371.0291                     33 45 31 N / 084 16 59 W

Post by David Mill » Mon, 26 Sep 1994 10:20:44

   Do we have to have all this *about a GAME cluttering up every single Linux
   group?  I fail to see the relevance to c.o.l.admin, c.o.l.development,
   c.o.l.a, etc.  It's a GAME, guys... NOT part of the OS!  If that's the most
   important thing you do with Linux, I respectfully submit that you are
   wasting a lot of money on a microcomputer... just go out and buy a Nintendo...
   you'd probably be happier.

        Two things. First, you step through 2000 lines of elisp code
all night. Then tell me how it is bad to want to enjoy oneself a nice
bout of DOOM to relieve the stree and reward oneslef?
        Secondly, on Linus's own god damn machine at Helsinki you will
fond in roots home directory "/root/DOOM/". So you are mocking out
mentor in this respect. In fact he only kept his dos partition around
so he could keep playing doom.

                                   umount /soapbox

        I fail to see the relevane to c.o.l.admin, c.o.l.development,
c.o.l.a for these stupid outplayed unix command line cliche's. Let he
who is without sin cast the first........

Later,
David S. Miller

   "Linux!     Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus."

            ...WOW, this guy sounds real serious about things...

DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post by Jeff Kesselm » Tue, 27 Sep 1994 04:10:14

Quote:

>                mount -r -t raving.human /dev/keyboard /soapbox

>Do we have to have all this *about a GAME cluttering up every single Linux
>group?  I fail to see the relevance to c.o.l.admin, c.o.l.development,
>c.o.l.a, etc.  It's a GAME, guys... NOT part of the OS!  If that's the most
>important thing you do with Linux, I respectfully submit that you are
>wasting a lot of money on a microcomputer... just go out and buy a Nintendo...
>you'd probably be happier.

>                                umount /soapbox

>    - Mark

"Why don't you lie down and take a stress pill, Dave?"
                        Hal the computer, 2001

Relax guy, there is already serious work afoot to get seperate DOOM
catagories for thsi over in rec.games.  When they are ready, we can send
all the doom-ies over there.  Meanwhile, might i suggest you use a
threaded news reader (such as trn, tin, etc) and just not read the DOOM
stuff?

Jeff Kesselman

DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post by Piri » Tue, 27 Sep 1994 02:20:00

Quote:> Do we have to have all this *about a GAME cluttering up every single Linux
> group?  I fail to see the relevance to c.o.l.admin, c.o.l.development,
> c.o.l.a, etc.  It's a GAME, guys... NOT part of the OS!  If that's the most
> important thing you do with Linux, I respectfully submit that you are
> wasting a lot of money on a microcomputer... just go out and buy a Nintendo...
> you'd probably be happier.

DOOM for Nintendo is out???  How many frames per second?  :-)

---
chris

DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post by Frerk Mey » Tue, 27 Sep 1994 18:39:15

Doom is a strategic product for an OS like Linux
because you can't convince someone to forget DOS
and switch to Linux as long as his or her favorite
games does not run.

You don't believe me?

Well, then you are smarter than Microsoft and IBM together.
They have their own development task forces devoted to the
port of DOOM to Windows95 and OS/2 respectivly.

C'mon, games are fun *and* games are a serious driving force
at the same time.
---

Department for Computers in Education
"http://www.educat.hu-berlin.de/~frerk/frerk.html"

Post by Tom Barring » Wed, 28 Sep 1994 22:39:25

 > DOOM for Nintendo is out???  How many frames per second?  :-)

Oh, two on a good day. :)

--
Tom Barringer      : Progress Software Corp.   : The Tall * is looking
QA Development     : 14 Oak Park               : for members.  Please see the

GEnie: T.Barringer : #include <std/disclaim.i> : the top of your refrigerator.
HREF="ftp://ftp.progress.com/tomb/tomb.html"

Post by Robert J. Shm » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 06:14:44

:       Two things. First, you step through 2000 lines of elisp code
: all night. Then tell me how it is bad to want to enjoy oneself a nice
: bout of DOOM to relieve the stree and reward oneslef?
:       Secondly, on Linus's own god damn machine at Helsinki you will
: fond in roots home directory "/root/DOOM/". So you are mocking out
: mentor in this respect. In fact he only kept his dos partition around
: so he could keep playing doom.

followup to: alt.folklore.urban :)
--
----------------------+--------------------------------------------------

----------------------+ of Atogs. I will still accept them at NO CHARGE to
Brian Cully           | you! Email me for information about my home for

DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post by Mark A. Horton KA4Y » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 00:45:31

OK!  OK!  I'm sorry!  I didn't realise the importance to Linux of PC
games!  I apologise!  :)   (I wasn't criticising the game or playing it,
I was just commenting on the presence of DOOM or DOMM postings in every
single unmoderated Linux group instead of in help or misc.)   No sweat!
I just didn't see the planetary significance of DOOM postings in c.o.l.admin,
c.o.l.development, etc.

Please accept my most profuse aplogies for misunderstanding the cosmic
significance of this port of a PC game to the Linux operating system.

:)
        -- Mark

--
"Linux!     Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus."

+1.404.371.0291                     33 45 31 N / 084 16 59 W

DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post by be.. » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 21:07:51

Quote:

>Please accept my most profuse aplogies for misunderstanding the cosmic
>significance of this port of a PC game to the Linux operating system.

                                ^^^^^^^

Just to make things worse, wasn't doom first developed for NeXT ? :)

  - Benny -

DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post by Jeff Kesselm » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 09:23:22

Quote:>OK!  OK!  I'm sorry!  I didn't realise the importance to Linux of PC
>games!  I apologise!  :)   (I wasn't criticising the game or playing it,
>I was just commenting on the presence of DOOM or DOMM postings in every
>single unmoderated Linux group instead of in help or misc.)   No sweat!
>I just didn't see the planetary significance of DOOM postings in c.o.l.admin,
>c.o.l.development, etc.

>Please accept my most profuse aplogies for misunderstanding the cosmic
>significance of this port of a PC game to the Linux operating system.

>:)
>    -- Mark

Not to prolong the war, but suprisingly I DO agree with Mark's basic
sentiment, even if I suggested he coudl be a little more laid back about it
(the 2001 quote.)

Games are fine, but continual postings all over ALL of the linux groups
gets to be rather annoying.  It is NOT a development issue, nor is it an
OS issue (unless someone is plannign on writing a DOOM-kernel;) )

Postings about this or any other game should really be kept in the help,
misc or game-specific topics.

Nuff said.

Jeff Kesselman

1. doom doom doom...site

try out this linux mirror site 2.6gigs full slackware apps.
doom, doom2, slackware, demos, and more!!!

ftp access only, anon logon! T1 connect!  4-66 machine!

ftp:            fishbowl.interaccess.com

goldfish sysop...

--

Darkness at Sethanon BBS! 708-501-3004 28.8k 2.5gig!
Goldfish SySop!

2. XWindows Question

3. Konqueror broken : (

4. dumb da dumb dumb newbie prob.

5. libtiff.a?

6. A dumb question about DOOM. Sorry, folks!

7. 2 Modems on one PC

8. Ultimate Linux Doom and Doom II

9. Doom Startup Question (X-Doom)

10. Linux Doom engine with Doom II wad goes into DeathMatch

11. using reginsted DOOM & DOOM II wads w/ Linux

12. Doom WAD for linux doom