Getting RH and Caldera to play nice with printers

Getting RH and Caldera to play nice with printers

Post by Kevin O'Gorma » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've got a Caldera OL 2.3 system with a laser printer. This works fine.
It's on a LAN with a RedHat
6.0 system without a printer, and I'm having trouble getting RedHat to
print via the Caldera printer.
Actually the second system boots several OSes, including another copy of
OL2.3, and in that state
it can use the other machine's printer just fine.

Now RH uses the "old" LPD software, and Caldera is using LPRng.  When I
try to print with RH,
it reports that the queue on the Caldera machine is full, and it's
waiting for it to drain.  In fact the
queue is empty, and on a partition with a LOT of free space.

The printcap I'm using on RH was created by the printtool, and is not
obviously different from the
one that works on Caldera.

#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are
doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 600x600 letter {} PostScript Default 0
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=trixie.kosman.via.ayuda.com:\
        :rp=lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

--

1. Help w/ getting Linux and Win95 to play nice

Hello,

        I have seen lots of people in this newsgroup say that they are
having problems with getting Win95 and Linux to share the same HD (one
750 MB part for Win95 and three Linux parts totaling 790).  I would like
to add my voice to that growing chorus. I have tried installing the
RedHat version of Linux (and LILO) three times now.  Each time I do it
something goes wrong with Win95.  The last time I installed Linux I could
no longer get at my HD, flippy drive, or CD-Rom by clicking on the "My
Computer" icon.  But as long as I only did things from the start bar I
was okay.  I asked several computer friends for advice and in the end the
only thing that worked was to uninstall Win95 and then reinstall it.  I
was wondering if it was a problem with LILO.  I have read all the man
pages on installing Linux and the HOWTO's but have not come across
anything germane to my problem.  I would great appreciate any advice on
getting Linux and Win95 to run on the same HD.

Thank you in advance for you suggestions and advice.  :)

2. does network "width" mean anything? ambigious arpwatch syntax

3. Nice. Nice nice nice.

4. File: Table is full?

5. Getting ipmasqadm to play nice with ipchains rules for port forwarding

6. Shell Script for FTPing

7. HELP -> RH 6.2, Adaptec 2940UW, and CMD CRD-5500 not playing nice..

8. copy a.out

9. Please help getting Lexmark Z43 printer to work with RH 9

10. Caldera's nice new Web page

11. public_html won't play nice

12. Solaris8, AIX4.3, NIS, password.adjunct: how to make everyone play nice together

13. nforce2, acpi, interrupts - not playing nice...