device files on linux? anyone?

Post by halli » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:03:04

Hello all -

I have 2 linux boxes with fiber connecting to my SAN box at each site.
On each server I have veritas f/s running. Now, when I promote my LUNS
from HOST (A) to the HOST (B) server for the very first time, it fails
as HOST (A) have never been primary LUNS for host(B) and the device
file system never knows about them.

But when I reboot my box host(B), i can import the disk group onto
host (B).  This is because the device file systems get updated.  At
the same time when i move them back to HOST (A) box I can mount HOST
(A) LUNS and not HOST (B)'s LUNs until I reboot Host A and the device
f/s get updated.

As long as it the primary disk group to the HOST server its fine.
Until, I reboot the server and the device file system is rebuilt then
I will not be able to mount the remote LUNs of each server as they get
wiped from the device file system.

CAn someone tell me what command I can run to scan all the devices OR
not to remove my devices which are not attached! i.e. save my device
file prior to my reboot.  It seems that each time my machine reboots
and the devices are not listed, it will remove those device file.
Does anyone have any idea to prevent my device files i.e. /dev dir not
to change!  Is there something equiv. of fsdevadmin (in solaris, if im
correct) in Linux!

Any help will be helpful!
hallian

Post by Meat Plo » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:12:05

> Hello all -

> I have 2 linux boxes with fiber connecting to my SAN box at each site.
> On each server I have veritas f/s running. Now, when I promote my LUNS
> from HOST (A) to the HOST (B) server for the very first time, it fails
> as HOST (A) have never been primary LUNS for host(B) and the device
> file system never knows about them.

LOL nobody smart enough here (comp.os.linux.redhat) to help you. Veritas has forums with
intellignet people that are much more than willing to help you.

device files on linux? anyone?

Post by ynotsso » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:41:02

Quote:> LOL nobody smart enough here (comp.os.linux.redhat) to help you.

Nominate yourself for poster boy. <*plonk*>

--
use hotmail com for any email replies

1. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

  Recently purchased a chinon 4X CDrom that isn't recognized  by any of the existing device
drivers in /dev.  I called Chinon and asked if they planned on creating a Unix driver or
specifically a Linux driver.  They said no on Unix and that theyd never heard of Linux.  Now
I'm having them send me the programming specs for my drive.  To the point..anyone out there
managed to create their own device driver for linux yet?  Anyone out the know where I can
get the source for a functioning CDrom device driver to pattern mine after?

Thanks,
Steve Brague

2. Trivial name server - where ?

3. Linux and SCSI with 3 or more devices -- anyone have problems?

4. How to use ipcahins to redirect connection to proxy

5. Book: Linux Device Drivers - anyone?

6. moving root partition

7. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

8. urgent please: configure HP 4000 as other serial printer

9. Anyone available for a Linux Device Driver Project?

10. relation between device driver and device file

11. SLIP.... anyone, anyone, ANYONE!

12. SLIP.... anyone, anyone ANYONE!

13. Two modems and linux, anyone ? anyone ?