Gnu Emacs can't find file auc-tex

Post by jun.. » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 01:02:37

I am not sure that this is the correct news group in which to ask this
question but I have been able to find nothing on point in the EMACS help
group and the problem seems to relate more to something that is missing
in the Slackware distribution of Linux than to a bug in GNU EMACS.

The problem is that when I attempt to enter the TEX (or LATEX) major mode
in GNU EMACS I get the following error message at the bottom of the screen:

File mode specification error: (File-error "Cannot open load file" "auc-tex")

and using the find command I am quite certain that there is, indeed, no
file named auc-tex anywhere on my system.  On the other hand, my
explorations of the GNU EMACS help group have indicated that there is
a file named auc-tex that apparently is used in the various TEX modes.
(I do have EMACS lisp files for tex, however.)  I loaded in EMACS using the
setup program that comes with Slackware 1.20 and the version that I have
is apparently GNU EMACS 19.22.1.

So my question is, where can I find auc-tex? or am I supposed to generate
it somehow? or do I need a patch or another version of EMACS?

In the meantime I guess that I can use EMACS in TEXT mode and still prepare
*files, but, since one of my major goals in getting Linux was to be
able to use EMACS to create*and TEX (and SGML) files, I would be most
grateful for any assistance.  (And if anyone can tell me anything about
editors or parsers for SGML I would be grateful for that information as
well.

--
Peter D. Junger -- Case Western Reserve Univ. Law School

Post by David Kastr » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 23:40:47

>I am not sure that this is the correct news group in which to ask this
>question but I have been able to find nothing on point in the EMACS help
>group and the problem seems to relate more to something that is missing
>in the Slackware distribution of Linux than to a bug in GNU EMACS.
>The problem is that when I attempt to enter the TEX (or LATEX) major mode
>in GNU EMACS I get the following error message at the bottom of the screen:
>File mode specification error: (File-error "Cannot open load file" "auc-tex")

You must have something like
(require 'auc-tex)
or a similar command in either your home directory (/root ?) under
.emacs, or in /usr/lib/emacs/19.22/lisp/default.el or site-lisp.el or
similar.

Remove it.

On the other hand, aucTeX is nice to have, and the standard TeX mode of
Emacs does not properly support LaTeX2e, which is the default TeX mode.

So I suggest getting AucTeX (it's really much nicer), and hope someone
else will point out the site. I believe it could be available on CTAN
archives under /pub/tex/support somewhere, but don't take me to it.
--

 Tel: +49-241-72419 Fax: +49-241-79502
 Goethestr. 20, D-52064 Aachen

Post by Bill Hog » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 02:24:40

: I am not sure that this is the correct news group in which to ask this
: question but I have been able to find nothing on point in the EMACS help
: group and the problem seems to relate more to something that is missing
: in the Slackware distribution of Linux than to a bug in GNU EMACS.

: The problem is that when I attempt to enter the TEX (or LATEX) major mode
: in GNU EMACS I get the following error message at the bottom of the screen:

: File mode specification error: (File-error "Cannot open load file"
: "auc-tex") ...

  Hmm.

  FWIW, auc-TeX is a *large* emacs macro package that can be found on any
of the CTAN sites in the *directory* /tex-archive/support/auc-tex.

  To get a sense of how large auc-TeX is,

        emacs-19.25.tar.gz = 7.33MB

        aux-tex.tar.gz = 6.20 MB

  Looks simplest to find out where your copy of emacs is requesting
'auc-tex' and, like the man said, delete it.

  BH

--
  Bill Hogan

Gnu Emacs can't find file auc-tex

Post by jim heffer » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 20:19:56

Telnet to pip.shsu.edu and look around (I think `quote site index auc-tex'
or some vairant of thesame will wirk).  Then either put it in the
directory where emacs looks for macros or (I think this is better)
put it in its own directory so that you can, say, remove the emacs
directory structure but not have to redo auctex.  You will have to
do a small amount of installing, for instance, telling it what .dvi
previewer you want.

Just my $.02: I think it is really good.
Jim Hefferon

Gnu Emacs can't find file auc-tex

Post by Bill Hog » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 00:13:02

  To anyone who saw my earlier followup to this question, my apologies.

  auc-tex.tar.gz is *not* as I said, 7+ MB in size, but only about 250 KB!

  Somehow I managed to download the entire auc-tex directory as a single
file named auctex.tar.gz, instead of downloading the file auctex.tar.gz
which resides *in* that directory, and then proceeded to confuse the size
of the latter with the size of the former.

  Bill
--
  Bill Hogan

1. Printing from AUC-TeX and Gnu emacs using Solaris' SunSoft Print Client

Is anyone using AUC-TeX with Gnu emacs on a Sun running Solaris
with the SunSoft Print Client for printing?  We have a problem
with printing from AUC-TeX in this environment.  The print job
will spool in the directory /var/spool/print but the printer daemon
dies before the file are forward to the printer.  The print job
remains stuck in the print queue.  AUC-TeX uses the emacs' start_process
routine to submit the print job.

If anyone has a fix or suggestions please send email.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

2. Sears SR2000 dip switch settings

3. AUC-TeX Emacs package added to SLS TeX files

4. How set up ipmasqurade

5. dvips, logout, compaq, auc-tex

6. Problem with ATI Mach 8 and IBM 8514

7. Problems running Tex and ispell from gnu-emacs

8. LILO Passwords

9. Looking for sources (diffs, actually) for TeX, MF, and GNU Emacs

10. Still looking for sources/patches to GNU Emacs and TeX

11. O'Reilly's GNU Emacs

12. TeX&LaTeX emacs modes(can't start)

13. : Emacs-19.19 can't find term file