cron and tar not co-existing

Post by kevin » Thu, 30 May 2002 21:04:54

i have created a little script that uses the tar command.

the script works fine when run from the unix prompt but when placed as a
crontab entry the tar fails with the following message..

/bin/tar: latest: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

the cron is running from the same machine in which i can execute the script
from via command line.

any hints would be appreciated..

thanks..  kevint

cron and tar not co-existing

Post by Tzafrir Cohe » Fri, 31 May 2002 07:23:01

> i have created a little script that uses the tar command.

> the script works fine when run from the unix prompt but when placed as a
> crontab entry the tar fails with the following message..

> /bin/tar: latest: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

> /bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

> the cron is running from the same machine in which i can execute the script
> from via command line.

> any hints would be appreciated..

I haven't seen the script, but my first gues is that you rely on a value
of some environment variable, and that this value is not properly set when
the script is executed through cron.

Add in the script lines to echo the values of all the existing variables
(or maybe 'set') and force cron to run it once (maybe change the ettings
of the script to run on * * * *, and perhaps you should rem-out some part
of the script beforehand)

--
Tzafrir Cohen

http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

1. mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

well my friends, i recently have had the worst experience in my
conmputing life (YET!!).
this is how it went:
my mind was tormented cause of this statistics test i had to take that
night. but i didnt study!! (i spend all that time trying to connect my
linux box to the net). i was just about to print the "Mail-HOWTO" on my
old battered Epson lx-810 (doont laugh, please! :o), when the image of me
failing the test miserably struck my mind. but, i continued issuing the
command, the this is that i accidentally typed:
        cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/hd1
instead of:
        cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/lp2 !!!!!!!!!!
any guesses on what happened?
well, 'cat' wrote to the DOS (Win95) partition, but i wrote over the
FAT!!!!!
all my DAMN information on that partition was lost!!!!~ FOREVER!!!!
i had to repartition-reformat.
i just started at the screen ...i wanted to bang my head against it, but
didnt :o)

let that be a lesson for all of yoiu out there:
either:
-study for yer tests with time
-dont have 2 OSses coexisting
-KILL WIN95
-or don use a computer at all!!

anyone with less patience than me would have probably committed suicied!!
:o) (j/k)

if anyone has any comments, similar mishaps or simply wants to insult me,
feel free to email me at:

Wilser Ramirez NG

2. Memory protection being added to pk

3. Co-existing Linux & Win95

4. installing a library file, failed rpm

5. MFM and IDE co-existing under Linux?

6. Help! No KDE desktop after upgrading to XFree86-3.3.5

7. SCSI and IDE co-existing

8. TGUI9440Agi with @MB memory oblems

9. x86 Solaris / NT co-existing

10. Co-existing with VFAT and NTFS

11. Linux and Win2K Server Co-existing

12. gcc-2.9.xx co-existing with gcc-2.7.2.3?

13. KDE co-existing with Helix Gnome