e2fsck 0.5a -> error: Block bitmap nn for group yy not in group

Post by Theodore Ts' » Sun, 27 Nov 1994 03:47:08

   Date: 18 Nov 1994 08:41:15 GMT

   I ran into trouble yesterday as our main Linux machine came to a
   halt. Nothing seemed to work except an occational ping to the ethernet
   card. The reset button was the only solution since all VCs had frozen
   and telnetd seemed out of order. After the reboot the kernel was
   unable to mount root and paniced. Now, this has happened before, and I
   had a bootdisk + rootdisk ready, which would enable me to do a manual
   fsck on the rootdevice. The magic formula, which has always worked for
   me in the past, 'fsck -t ext2 -a /dev/sda3' only gave the error
   message

   'Block bitmap 790647877 for group 32 not in group'

   and returned me to the prompt.

Your block group descriptors on your filesystem got trashed.  You should
hopefully be able to recover by telling e2fsck to use the backup
superblock and block group descriptors:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda3

Good luck!

                                                - Ted

1. e2fsck 0.5a -> error: Block bitmap nn for group yy not in group

I ran into trouble yesterday as our main Linux machine came to a
halt. Nothing seemed to work except an occational ping to the ethernet
card. The reset button was the only solution since all VCs had frozen
and telnetd seemed out of order. After the reboot the kernel was
unable to mount root and paniced. Now, this has happened before, and I
had a bootdisk + rootdisk ready, which would enable me to do a manual
fsck on the rootdevice. The magic formula, which has always worked for
me in the past, 'fsck -t ext2 -a /dev/sda3' only gave the error
message

'Block bitmap 790647877 for group 32 not in group'

and returned me to the prompt.

System stats:

Micropolis 1.7GB 5.25" FH SCSI-2 HD + Conner 240MB IDE
Adaptec 1542c SCSI-adapter
Acer 486Dx2/66, 24MB Ram

Is there a solution to my problem? Can i manipulate blocks to clear
them of unwanted data?

/Johan

Lysator ACS, Linkoping University
Sweden

2. Linux VPN (open-source)

3. e2fsck: block bitmap 0 for group 0 not in group?

4. quota

5. Block, inode, superblock, group and bitmap -- really confused

6. Change colors to 24 or 16 bit

7. HELP! Ext2 group block/inode bitmap corrupted

8. Overdriving 486 DX2 66

9. inode blocks/cyl group (377) >= data blocks (224)

10. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

11. grouping a group to a group?

12. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

13. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)