Dedicated server on different partion

Post by Vadi » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:35:59

Hi,

I have a question... Is it possible to run two different virtually
dedicated servers on different partions of one physical server? I'm
planning to create a new partion and create a web server for my wife
on it. Is it possible, or I have to have two different servers?

Post by J Sloa » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:17:34

> Hi,

> I have a question... Is it possible to run two different virtually
> dedicated servers on different partions of one physical server?

Are you speaking of disk partitions, or of virtual
machine partitions as in the mainframe world?

Quote:> I'm
> planning to create a new partion and create a web server for my wife
> on it.

Meaning, a system that will host your wife's
web server, or simply a separate disk partition
to contain your wife's web content?

Quote:> Is it possible, or I have to have two different servers?

You can run many different websites from a
single apache server - either name-based,
using the same IP address, or IP-based, with
different IP addresses, or some combination
of the 2 kinds.

No need for a separate partition, in any event.

cu

jjs

Dedicated server on different partion

Post by Vadi » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:47:02

I'm using virtual hosting for apache right now. But I would like to
create some sort of dedicated server for my wife and myself. The
problem is that I have only one server, so I was thinking to install 2
OS, 2 Partitions, 2 NICs and 2 apaches... I don't know how to make
partitions invisible for each other. Or if it is possible at all.

Post by J Sloa » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:28:41

> I'm using virtual hosting for apache right now. But I would like to
> create some sort of dedicated server for my wife and myself. The
> problem is that I have only one server, so I was thinking to install 2
> OS, 2 Partitions, 2 NICs and 2 apaches... I don't know how to make
> partitions invisible for each other. Or if it is possible at all.

Possible, but sounds like overkill -

Why 2 OSes when one can do the job?

If you have access to an IBM mainframe,
you can indeed partition the system into
many separate virtual Linux servers.

But my guess is you don't have that kind
of budget - so if you are determined to run
separate OSes, you could kludge something
with vmware - install, say a Red Hat 7.1 base
system, then install say a Solaris 8 system
inside one vmware partition, and do a freebsd
install inside another vmware partition -

but the only real reason to do something so
odd is just for the geekliness of it all, just to
show that you can -

Personally, I'd just run one apache instance
and do it with virtual servers.

cu

jjs

1. Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:25:08 GMT, Matthew Planchant

What does fdisk or cfdisk say about the partition table layout?

The amount of mounted usable space will vary depending on how the
filesystems are initialized, since the filesystem overhead will vary.

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.psherwin.strayduck.com

2. Info on networking config

3. Linux dedicated UT server vs. Win32 dedicated server ?

4. Trouble with make

5. Dedicated Unix dedicated Server

6. CD wird nicht mehr gemounted

7. how can i merge or convert different partions ?

8. PCMCIA Memory Allocation Problem

9. Partion has different endings and + blocks

10. optimum space for different partions..

11. Re-partioning Extended partion

12. disk partions (iI am installing 3 OS'es, need > then 4 partions)

13. Can different MUAs use different SMTP servers?