Trouble w/SLIP && Ethernet

Post by Taylor Gauti » Tue, 29 Mar 1994 11:22:26

I can't seem to connect to my friend's computer after he has SLIPed into
our school.  It works fine until he is connected.  I know the problem has
to do with two things, either the nameserver (because if I make that
invalid I can login) or the default routing.

Here's my setup -- there are two Linux machines in my apartment,
connected via an Ethernet coax network.  My computer is a standalone,
while my roommate's has a 14.4 on it.  When I setup the network, I gave
us random IP addresses (prob. not a good idea) and everything works fine.
Then, when he SLIPs to the school I cannot login.

Now, I can temporarily fix this problem by making the nameserver on his
machine invalid (it usually specifies the nameserver at the school).
Now, this indicates to me that there is just some stupid routing problem,
and when the nameserver is present it says that my IP address is invalid
(it is).  What I want is for my roomates machine to see the ip address of
our net and send those packets out on the net first, not try to send it
out to the SLIP connection first.

Conversely, I don't want to set the default setting in the route table
from the SLIP connection because that would require explicitly routing
all the possible connections I might want to make, and that would be a pain.

--

Trouble w/SLIP && Ethernet

Post by Michael Ta » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 15:03:30

Slackware version just before linux kernel 1.0, linux .99pl15.

I'm trying to get my linux box on the internet via slip. SLIP is working
jim dandy to my gateway machine, but packets go no further.

Turns out routed is not behaving properly - "routed -g -d" trys to add the
slip route and returns the error "no such file or directory", then starts
returning other errors. "route" hangs on the kernel read.

This is happening on stuff configured for eth0, too. I see on
comp.os.linux.development that futzing with hosts.conf fixed a similar
problem (no such dice for me), another message posted said that routed
was horribly broken (without a workaround), and, lastly, there are
numerous success stories of folk running on the net...

Any suggestions? I'm biting the bullet and downloading 1.0 as I write....

Michael
--
"Ain't making no excuses for the many things I uses to sweeten my relationships
 and brighten up my day." - from "I got stoned and I missed it".