Slackware: fsck always check at boot time

Slackware: fsck always check at boot time

Post by Zhuo Er L » Tue, 23 Nov 1993 09:20:16

I just reinstall slackware 1.1 from scratch. But now it fsck checks
the file system every boot time. Although I reboot by 'sync;reboot'.
How to solve it?
|  Eric Lin                        Voice:   (204) 783-2884             |
|    Computer Engineering      FAX Modem:   (204) 783-2884             |

Slackware: fsck always check at boot time

Post by Stephen Russell Warr » Tue, 23 Nov 1993 18:29:16

I assume you are using bootutils...

If so, make sure you /etc/brc file contains a line like...

umount -a

To make sure your root partition is unmounted (and therefore marked clean) so
no fsck is required.

                        Technical editor "Wizzy Wig"

Post by o.. » Wed, 24 Nov 1993 00:50:55

: I assume you are using bootutils...

: If so, make sure you /etc/brc file contains a line like...

: umount -a

: To make sure your root partition is unmounted (and therefore marked clean) so
: no fsck is required.

My /etc/brc contains the line umount -a
but still the system run fsck. Why is that ?

I'm currently running Slackware 1.1.0

Slackware: fsck always check at boot time

Post by Mika Ilmaran » Tue, 23 Nov 1993 19:42:32

Quote:>I just reinstall slackware 1.1 from scratch. But now it fsck checks
>the file system every boot time. Although I reboot by 'sync;reboot'.
>How to solve it?

I had the same trouble. It was caused by kernel/lilo
not mounting the root filesystem read-only.

I got rid of that with 'rdev -R /zImage 1'.

>--
>|  Eric Lin                        Voice:   (204) 783-2884             |
>|    Computer Engineering      FAX Modem:   (204) 783-2884             |

Mika Ilmaranta

Post by David Gadbo » Wed, 24 Nov 1993 13:46:31

>My /etc/brc contains the line umount -a
>but still the system run fsck. Why is that ?

Your root filesystem is probably getting mounted read/write before the
fsck.  Mounting a filesystem rw sets the dirty bit, and so fsck thinks
it has to clean thing up, which is a bad thing to do on a rw
filesystem.

If you are using LILO, check its config file and make it mount things
readonly.  If you are booting off a floppy, you can do "rdev -R 1
/dev/fd0" (or whatever device you are booting off of) to make it do
so.

--David Gadbois

Post by Shirman Yu » Wed, 24 Nov 1993 18:44:44

>  : I assume you are using bootutils...

>  : If so, make sure you /etc/brc file contains a line like...

>   : umount -a

>   : To make sure your root partition is unmounted (and therefore marked clean) so
>   : no fsck is required.

> My /etc/brc contains the line umount -a
>  but still the system run fsck. Why is that ?

>   I'm currently running Slackware 1.1.0

        There are two solutions:
1)  change your zImage with rdev ( with option -R, if I remember well, check your man on rdev ):
        rdev -R /zImage 1
2) add to your /etc/lilo/config string
                READ-ONLY
        after
                root= ...
Run lilo again. Reboot. Reboot again ( of course with sync;reboot );

                        Yuri Shirman.

Slackware: fsck always check at boot time

Post by Bill C. Rieme » Fri, 26 Nov 1993 04:47:18

I think the point being missed here, is that only the latest
bootutils umount command cleanly unmounts root.  For those
who prefere the usermount version of mount and umount, the
simple solution is to rename the bootutils umount to
root_umount.  Then in brc use "root_umount -a".  All methods
I've tried to use usermount's umount in brc have always resulted
in a failed to unmount error, and the root partition being left
marked unclean.

                         Bill

1. Help with fsck ALWAYS running full check (Slackware 96)

I'm running Slackware '96 and have this problem that's driving me nuts.
Everytime I boot, fcsk does a FULL check on all volumes. Even if I
umount them first and check to make sure the "clean" flag is set, it
STILL runs a full check. I ran tune2fs to make sure the counts are
reasonable and checked the rc.S and rc.0 scripts to make sure all the
options are right, everything seems fine. These are ext2 partitions. Any
help from the fsck gurus out there?? Any pointers appreciated.

-jim

2. Sp97-V for a linux box

3. Mandrake: Always running fsck on boot

4. Two-headed BSD Daemon logo? Anyone?

5. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

6. xplsprinters error

7. ext2 always fsck'ing on boot up

8. IBM P.S. 850 PowerPC 604E IDE

9. BOOT PROBLEM: /dev/sda2 always gets full fsck

10. Checking file system (using ex2fsck, fsck ?) in Slackware.

11. While booting fsck checks wrong partition please help

12. Always check and double check

13. fsck not checking on boot