Group membership for a group

Post by Mart » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:53:39

Hello,

my question is: Is there any possibility for a group do be a Part of
an other group?

For example:
The group "Chiefs" should be part of the group "Employees".

Is this possible or have I add the username of the group chiefs to the
group employees????

Thx.
Marty

Post by nobodadd » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 06:30:53

> Hello,

> my question is: Is there any possibility for a group do be a Part of
> an other group?

Nope.  From "group" man page:

"The field descriptions are:"
<snip>
" user_list
     all the group member's user names, separated by commas.
"

Quote:

> For example:
> The group "Chiefs" should be part of the group "Employees".

> Is this possible or have I add the username of the group chiefs to the
> group employees????

You'll have to assign each and every _user_ who is a member of "Chiefs" to
the "Employees" group as well.

Quote:

> Thx.
> Marty

You might want to look into LDAP.

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

Post by Lew Pitche » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:40:49

> Hello,

> my question is: Is there any possibility for a group do be a Part of
> an other group?

No.

Quote:> For example:
> The group "Chiefs" should be part of the group "Employees".

> Is this possible or have I add the username of the group chiefs to the
> group employees????

You have to add the username of all the members of the cheifs group to the
employees group.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

1. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

Hi

First let me describe what I would like to set up to clarify things:

Scenario:

I would like to set up 3 groups, lets call them A, B, C. Users from A should
have access files created by users in B or C. Users in B or C cannot access
files created by users in A. Also users in B or C should not have access to
each others files.

How would I set up Umask to handle this? I've tried to create a primary
group for all and secondary groups to reflect the permissions I'm after, but
to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon

2. sound in enlightenment

3. grouping a group to a group?

4. Ethernet

5. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

6. Bash, find, and xargs: when filename includes a '

7. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)

8. monitoring ssh sessions (ttysnoop + sshd) [repost]

9. /etc/group groups inside of groups?

10. user and group management - how to emulate groups into groups in linux ?

11. Group membership problem

12. How to do automatic group membership?

13. More than 32 group membership problem