LILO error message question

Post by Eric V. Bru » Thu, 13 Oct 1994 05:25:18

I have a kernel which correctly boots and works from floppy.
I copied the kernel to /vmlinuz.  When I attempt to
run lilo I get the following message:

Kernel vmlinuz too big!

What is this really telling me?

I get the error when attempting to install to Master Boot Partition
or the Boot record of the first partition. The first parition is flagged
as bootable.

Do I need to leave more room before defining partition 1.

I am running a Maxtor 340 mb drive with a linux native and linux swap
partition only.  The drive is only at 50% capacity.

LILO error message question

Post by Werner Almesberg » Thu, 13 Oct 1994 22:07:22

Quote:> Kernel vmlinuz too big!

Ugly. Either something's broken or your kernel is really too big (are we
already at that point again ?). Maybe leaving out some non-essential
device drivers and other kernel features would shrink it to a more
reasonable size.

Quote:> What is this really telling me?

This tells you that LILO thinks your kernel would be too big to load.
Either LILO is wrong or what it thinks is the kernel isn't or the
(compressed) kernel is really bigger than half a megabyte. (Re-building
the kernel and examining the paths listed in /etc/lilo.conf should help
eliminating the first two (unlikely) possibilities.)

Has anybody seen this problem too ? Is it time to finally start the
heavy rewrite to run LILO in protected mode ? :-(

Quote:> Do I need to leave more room before defining partition 1.

No, that's not a failing copy operation. LILO typically only allocates
a few kB of disk space.

- Werner

Post by Eric V. Bru » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 01:16:22

: > Kernel vmlinuz too big!

: Ugly. Either something's broken or your kernel is really too big (are we
: already at that point again ?). Maybe leaving out some non-essential
: device drivers and other kernel features would shrink it to a more
: reasonable size.

  The file was 1.3 meg I created the file by cp /dev/fd0 vmlinuz
  the Kernel was compressed on the floppy.  I have since built
  a custom kernel with only the hardware I need for my system and
  that works fine since it is much smaller.

: > What is this really telling me?

: This tells you that LILO thinks your kernel would be too big to load.
: Either LILO is wrong or what it thinks is the kernel isn't or the
: (compressed) kernel is really bigger than half a megabyte. (Re-building
: the kernel and examining the paths listed in /etc/lilo.conf should help
: eliminating the first two (unlikely) possibilities.)

: Has anybody seen this problem too ? Is it time to finally start the
: heavy rewrite to run LILO in protected mode ? :-(

: > Do I need to leave more room before defining partition 1.

: No, that's not a failing copy operation. LILO typically only allocates
: a few kB of disk space.

: - Werner
: --
:    _________________________________________________________________________

Perhaps this information on size limitations could be added to Matt Walsh's
Linux Manual (which is one of best Install/Getting Started Manual's I have
seen in 20 years of working with computer systems).  Also perhaps this
information could be added to the FAQ's on building kernels?  These
are the first to spots I looked and came up dry.

|Eric Bruno, Santa Clara, CA       | All opinions are my own. |

|CompuServe ID - 71540,36001       |                          |

Post by Timothy Demare » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 20:43:47

: I have a kernel which correctly boots and works from floppy.
: I copied the kernel to /vmlinuz.  When I attempt to
: run lilo I get the following message:

: Kernel vmlinuz too big!

: What is this really telling me?

: I get the error when attempting to install to Master Boot Partition
: or the Boot record of the first partition. The first parition is flagged
: as bootable.

: Do I need to leave more room before defining partition 1.

: I am running a Maxtor 340 mb drive with a linux native and linux swap
: partition only.  The drive is only at 50% capacity.

I think the kernel is over 512k in size (or around 500k in size).  The lilo
README that comes with the source explains that a kernel cant be over a
certain size, or it cant load it.  You probably need to recompile your
kernel, and take out some uneeded drivers to make the kernel smaller.

--
Timothy Demarest   | Radiation Effects Research Foundation| WWW: http://

CIS: 100212,562    | 5-2 Hijiyama Park, Minami-ku         | .Inside/demarest/

Post by Christopher Go » Thu, 20 Oct 1994 08:13:47

>: > Kernel vmlinuz too big!

>: Ugly. Either something's broken or your kernel is really too big (are we
>: already at that point again ?). Maybe leaving out some non-essential
>: device drivers and other kernel features would shrink it to a more
>: reasonable size.

>  The file was 1.3 meg I created the file by cp /dev/fd0 vmlinuz

                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is the problem.  I didn't think you could do this since
you're going to get the whole floppy blank and everything in this file.
You just raw-read the _entire_ floppy into a disk image file.  The
kernel is not the same thing as the entire image.  You should just compile
a new kernel instead of fooling with this, I think.

Quote:>  the Kernel was compressed on the floppy.  I have since built
>  a custom kernel with only the hardware I need for my system and
>  that works fine since it is much smaller.

There is no way that your real kernel is 1.3MB is size.  It just seems
_way_ too huge.  My custom 1.1.54 with SCSI, Ethernet, etc. is about 285k
(size of zImage).  Try building a new kernel.  (/usr/src/linux/README)

        Chris Gori

LILO error message question

Post by Kevin Cummin » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 08:02:21

Quote:>   The file was 1.3 meg I created the file by cp /dev/fd0 vmlinuz

Arrrrrrrrgh!  Don't do this!  You just copied your entire floppy disk
(all 1.2 or 1.44 MB) to the file vmlinuz.  The actual boot size is much smaller.
But since you can't tell where it actually ends, you should find your original
zImage file and use it instead.  OF course, you could use dd to reduce the size
of your file down to something lilo thinks is small enough (without losing
any of your boot image if you are careful!).

--
Kevin J. Cummings                       Peritus Software Services, Inc.

1. Knoppix X-Window terminated error message on start up message question

Thanks for reading this. I received my Knoppix cd today.
Upon booting it up it went through the hardware detection fine and when
it went to "starting x window" the Knoppix 3.1 screen came on,
the HD and CDR light both came on and stayed on for about
1 1/2 - 2 minutes (No read/write activity was heard during this)
then I got this:

X-Window session terminated with errors
Please check and retry ' /etc/init.d/xsession start '

Can someone fill me in on what to do or if there is a work around?

I can't be the only one with this problem.

Dell 2200
1.3g Celeron
256m RAM
CD-RW

Thank you for any help you can give. I tried a Google search with no luck.

2. NATD question

3. Error message continuous error messages

4. Philips CDD 2600 CD-Read/Writer question.

5. Lilo error messages: What do i do

6. Which Intelligent Serial Card is supported?

7. LILO and error message : VFS

8. how to resize file system

9. Weird LILO error message.

10. Interpret Lilo error message

11. LILO error message "don't know how to handle device 0x1602"

12. LILO messages without any error ...

13. Lilo error message