what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

Post by jeff l » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:02:45

HI,

I'm just work in the academic lab which have 4 Linux servers. The
system administrator is gone whithou any information about how to deal
with the system crash or down.

We need to create some disk ( I mean floppy disk or the cD disk) in
case the system down.

I read the book about the Linux administartor. I'm confused that the
boot disk, root disk and emergency disk. What's they  different?

How can I create a boot disk in case the server is down, then I can
use the boot disk to boot the server.

What kind the disk should I prepare for the Liunx system if the system
is crashing or down?

Thank you very much

Jeff

Post by John Daviso » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:38:42

> HI,

> I'm just work in the academic lab which have 4 Linux servers. The system
> administrator is gone whithou any information about how to deal with the
> system crash or down.

> We need to create some disk ( I mean floppy disk or the cD disk) in case
> the system down.

> I read the book about the Linux administartor. I'm confused that the
> boot disk, root disk and emergency disk. What's they  different?

> How can I create a boot disk in case the server is down, then I can use
> the boot disk to boot the server.

> What kind the disk should I prepare for the Liunx system if the system
> is crashing or down?

> Thank you very much

> Jeff

In short, the boot disk contains the kernel (and is bootable), and the
root disk contains the files (the directory structure.)

An emergency disk is a special kind of boot/root combo that contains all
the programs you need to do diagnostics and fixes to a broken system.

Check out toms root boot:
http://www.toms.net/rb/

It's probably the best emergency disk around for Linux.

--

John Davison

http://1984.dynup.net/

Post by Joel Maye » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 15:29:59

> HI,

> I'm just work in the academic lab which have 4 Linux servers. The
> system administrator is gone whithou any information about how to deal
> with the system crash or down.

> We need to create some disk ( I mean floppy disk or the cD disk) in
> case the system down.

> I read the book about the Linux administartor. I'm confused that the
> boot disk, root disk and emergency disk. What's they  different?

> How can I create a boot disk in case the server is down, then I can
> use the boot disk to boot the server.

> What kind the disk should I prepare for the Liunx system if the system
> is crashing or down?

> Thank you very much

> Jeff

G'day Jeff

there not a great deal of mystery here

Boot disk -- this will contain a boot image and files need to boot the
             system
Root disk -- this will contain the image that will be mounted as / which
             should contain a selection of the binary from /bin and
                                 /sbin which are need for day to day admin work, quite often
                                 this will be loaded as a RAN disk to keep the floppy drive
                                 free and make for quicker use.
Emergency -- This will contain any other files/binaries which might be
                                 useful if you can't access the HD

They don't need to be seperate disks, it's just a convention from before
the days of CD's and other large storage devices, you could put together
a cdrom which would have every thing you need quite easily

Hope this helps

Joel

--
Go ahead try and spam me ...

1. what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

HI,

I'm just work in the academic lab which have 4 Linux servers. The
system administrator is gone whithou any information about how to deal
with the system crash or down.

We need to create some disk ( I mean floppy disk or the cD disk) in
case the system down.

I read the book about the Linux administartor. I'm confused that the
boot disk, root disk and emergency disk. What's they  different?

How can I create a boot disk in case the server is down, then I can
use the boot disk to boot the server.

What kind the disk should I prepare for the Liunx system if the system
is crashing or down?

Thank you very much

Jeff

2. Newbie: Pointer aspect

3. Problems with Emergency recovery disk set...bad boot disk!

4. SCSI trouble with DPT PM2022

5. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

6. Logon script using a samba-server & windows 9x workstations .. ?

7. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

8. what listens on this port??

9. Boot Disk, Rescue disk, Start-up Disk

10. Which boot disk goes with the Slackware 3.0 pcmcia.gz root disk?

11. boot/root disks using ram disk

12. Basic Root Disk and Boot disk Question

13. Boot Disk or Root Disk?