Linux to DOS/Windows conversion

Post by Roger Savar » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 23:20:47

Hi, I used my Linux box for about 1.5 year and I'd like to
re-use the drive for DOS and Windows only AND retain all
information on the DOS partition.

Here is my setup:

        /dev/hda1 contains ms-dos
        /dev/hda2 swap linux
        /dev/hda3 Linux

My question is how do I delete the Lilo WITHOUT destroying
DOS/Windows (/dev/hda1, do not have a backup and I'm not planning to).
Once I have this I'll make other DOS partitions with hda2 & hda3.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Savard

Post by bill davids » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 01:49:31

| Hi, I used my Linux box for about 1.5 year and I'd like to
| re-use the drive for DOS and Windows only AND retain all
| information on the DOS partition.
|
| Here is my setup:
|
|       /dev/hda1 contains ms-dos
|       /dev/hda2 swap linux
|       /dev/hda3 Linux

You said that wrong, you mean you want to delete the DOS partition
to get more room for Linux, right? ;-)

You can fiddle with getting the old boot back out of /boot and
reinstalling it, but the quick way is:
 - boot DOS
 - restore the DOS boot loader with "fdisk /mbr"
 - reset the active partition to DOS

Post by Terry Mulle » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 16:27:46

: Hi, I used my Linux box for about 1.5 year and I'd like to
: re-use the drive for DOS and Windows only AND retain all
: information on the DOS partition.

: Here is my setup:

:       /dev/hda1 contains ms-dos
:       /dev/hda2 swap linux
:       /dev/hda3 Linux

: My question is how do I delete the Lilo WITHOUT destroying
: DOS/Windows (/dev/hda1, do not have a backup and I'm not planning to).
: Once I have this I'll make other DOS partitions with hda2 & hda3.

: Thanks in advance.

Hi Roger,
        Using DOS fdisk, try fdisk /mbr. That will re-write the master boot
record, where LILO resides.

Terry

Post by Larry T. Willia » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 05:58:20

>: Hi, I used my Linux box for about 1.5 year and I'd like to
>: re-use the drive for DOS and Windows only AND retain all
>: information on the DOS partition.
>        Using DOS fdisk, try fdisk /mbr. That will re-write the master boot
>record, where LILO resides.

Because you plan on NOT backing up your system, I have sympathy for you.  But,
before you do Terry's suggestion, make sure you've copied/compressed
everything you want off /dev/hda3 and put it on /dev/hda1.

Cheers
Tom
--

Home of Sonic Overload

Post by Bob Willm » Tue, 21 Feb 1995 16:49:50

: >: Hi, I used my Linux box for about 1.5 year and I'd like to
: >: re-use the drive for DOS and Windows only AND retain all
: >: information on the DOS partition.

: >        Using DOS fdisk, try fdisk /mbr. That will re-write the master boot
: >record, where LILO resides.

: Because you plan on NOT backing up your system, I have sympathy for you.  But,
: before you do Terry's suggestion, make sure you've copied/compressed
: everything you want off /dev/hda3 and put it on /dev/hda1.

fdisk /mbr will work fine.  I've done it plenty of times.

        Bob Willmot

1. Help for DOS to Linux system conversion.

Linux seems very interesting, and I would like to know more info about it
before I make the jump.  What are the minimum system requirements (RAM,
HD space, processor type and speed)?  Can I run DOS and Windows programs
under it like I can under OS/2?  Can I run OS/2 programs under it?  If I
can't run certain programs, does it allow me to boot up another operating
system, like OS/2?

Linux seems too good to be true; tell me something *bad* about it, or a
limitation.  Will it work with my peripherals?  Like my VLBus Adaptec
SCSI card, my Toshiba CD-ROM drive, my UltraSound card, etc.  Thanks.
Is it better than OS/2?  If so, in what ways (besides being free!).
                                                -Peter

2. Partition Managers: What's the best way to go?

3. Dos/Win(vfat) file to Linux file (ext2) conversion utility

4. Cyrillic X-fonts

5. Conversion from Linux partition to DOS FAT partition

6. Cann't add users. (fwd)

7. dos<->linux conversion

8. Problems with my CD-rom

9. Samba and windows/linux line break conversion?

10. Windows to Linux Conversion FAQ?

12. dos <-> unix conversion

13. Unix to Dos Conversion utility?