Novell Netware support for Linux...

Post by Matthew Dha » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 03:29:56

I will be setting up a Linux box very soon which will be connected to
an ethernet network which is running Novell Netware and TCP/IP.  There
are several printers on the Netware which I would like to access, but
I don't think I can from Linux.  Or can I?  If anyone knows anything
about attaching a Linux box to Netware (including current projects to
develop such support -- I'm willing to help), drop me a line here.

Thanks much.

Matt Dharm

Post by p_qu.. » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 05:47:00

Subject: Re: Novell Netware support for Linux...

>I will be setting up a Linux box very soon which will be connected to
>an ethernet network which is running Novell Netware and TCP/IP.  There
>are several printers on the Netware which I would like to access, but
>I don't think I can from Linux.  Or can I?  If anyone knows anything
>about attaching a Linux box to Netware (including current projects to
>develop such support -- I'm willing to help), drop me a line here.

>Thanks much.

>Matt Dharm

I've done this before:

I order to use the Netware print queues you need to have NFS for Ntware
installed.

You then set up your /etc/printcap for remote printers and define them
as the queues on the NW server.  Set upi the filters.

Everything sould be fine.

Good Luck

--
________
Paul Quinn

Computer Science: Systems Architecture
Concordia University
Montreal, QC, CANADA
--------

Post by James Kaufm » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 08:45:31

>I will be setting up a Linux box very soon which will be connected to
>an ethernet network which is running Novell Netware and TCP/IP.  There
>are several printers on the Netware which I would like to access, but
>I don't think I can from Linux.  Or can I?  If anyone knows anything
>about attaching a Linux box to Netware (including current projects to
>develop such support -- I'm willing to help), drop me a line here.

>Thanks much.

>Matt Dharm

A way to do this (if you do not have an NLM that understands TCP/IP on
Netware) is to buy a box from Digital Products, Inc. (somewhere on
the East coast - check 1-800-555-1212 for phone no.)

This box is a cheap print server for Novell Nets. You can hook up two
to four printers (depending on model) and the boxes understand how
to receive TCP/IP requests from a Unix box. We have a few at work
and they work great. Just be sure the firmware is 4.2 or greater.

JMK

Post by Paul Qui » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 02:47:38

>I will be setting up a Linux box very soon which will be connected to
>an ethernet network which is running Novell Netware and TCP/IP.  There
>are several printers on the Netware which I would like to access, but
>I don't think I can from Linux.  Or can I?  If anyone knows anything
>about attaching a Linux box to Netware (including current projects to
>develop such support -- I'm willing to help), drop me a line here.

>Thanks much.

>Matt Dharm

I've done this before:

I order to use the Netware print queues you need to have NFS for Ntware
installed.

You then set up your /etc/printcap for remote printers and define them
as the queues on the NW server.  Set upi the filters.

Everything sould be fine.

Good Luck

--
________
Paul Quinn

Computer Science: Systems Architecture
Concordia University
Montreal, QC, CANADA
--------

1. Novell netware support in kernel

Has anybody here already looked at a book like

"Novell's Guide to Netware LAN Analysis"
Chappel, Hakes
Novell Press/Sybex
ISBN 0-7821-1362-1
US $44.99

The book contains quite a lot of description of the inner workings
of the netware protocols. I don't know if it is enough to implement
a Novell client, but I certainly would like to see one.

Kristian

--

"Lass Dein Haus abreissen und einen Parkplatz bauen..."

2. HELP - MPC860T Cross-Development

3. Winfax issues when dumping Novell Netware for Mars_Nwe under Linux

4. encryption on AIX

5. linux and novell netware 3.11

6. Primax Scanner Driver Project for Linux started

7. MARS will allow a linux box to look like a Novell Netware Server right ?

8. PIM and TO-DO manager on UNIX platforms

9. Winfax issues when dumping Novell Netware for Mars_Nwe under Linux

10. Novell Netware 3.12 and LINUX ??

11. accessing novell netware disks from linux?

12. Linux - Novell Netware interoperability

13. Linux and Novell Netware