raidhotadd help

Post by Me :\ » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:02:35

Hi again :D
I have a raid 1 (mirrored) disk setup and wanted to swap one of the disks in
the array out with another one. After creating a new partition and setting
its type to fd (read from the how-to doc's), I did a raidhotadd and rebooted
the system. Nothing happened (no syncing etc) - also the /proc/mdstat shows
2/2 devices instead of 3/3

Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid1 hda1[0] hdc1[2] hde1[1]
      25599424 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

I modified the raidtab file manually adding an for /dev/hdc1 (the new drive
I added) and rebooted again, still nothing. What should I do? is there any
way to force the drive sync? also what did I do wrong? Thanks a lot

Muhammed Syyid
PS Do I have to do something to mirror the superblock or is that also
handled with raidhotadd? The fdisk -l shows the older 2 partitions having an
* under Boot while the new /dev/hdc1 does not. Thanks

1. raid + raidhotadd

At the moment I have the following problem:
while a raid1-array has two drives defined in raidtab and even lists them
in /proc/mdstat it has only one drive in its mirror ...

raiddev       /dev/md3
raid-level    1
chunk-size    64k
persistent-superblock 1
nr-raid-disks 2
    device    /dev/hdc7
    raid-disk 0
    device    /dev/hda7
    raid-disk 1

#cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md3 : active raid1 hda7[1] hdc7[0]
      19438528 blocks [1/1] [U]

while it stated both drives : hda7 and hdc7, it says 1/1 in the next line,
insted of [2/2] [UU] as expected ...

what can be my problem ?

if I try raidhotadd /dev/md3 /dev/hda7
I get:
/dev/md3: can not hot-add disk: disk busy!

the background:

I had a single partition hda7 and wanted to make it raid1 with hdc7. So
first I created a raid1-array md3 only consisting of hdc7. Then I copied
all data from hda7 to the new md3-raid and then wanted to add hda7 to md3.
So I added hda7 to md3 in the raidtab and performed a raidhotadd, but after
trying a lot and stoping and starting the raid I ended up like explained
above ...

what does raidhotadd really do ? I remember that I can add new partition to
raid-arrays with this tools and that the raid-code will sync the disks then
but maybe all partitions must have been part of the array when creating it ?

thnx,
peter

--
peter pilsl

http://www.goldfisch.at

2. solaris 8 x86 modem connection...

3. raidhotadd & root partition

4. Sparc20+StorageArray GREAT DEAL

5. raidhotadd: /dev/xxx not an MD device

6. Linux Site with 100's of links

7. Raidhotadd : device mdo busy ?

8. Help with Squid.

9. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

10. help help help help help help

11. Xaw scrollbars within dialog box widgets HELP:HELP:HELP:HELP:HELP:

12. HELP HELP HELP HELP PLZ

13. Help C program in linux help help help !!!!!!!