Using Orchid SoundWave with Linux

Post by K. Sh » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 13:21:05

Hi!

I am thinking of buying the Orchid SoundWave 32 sound card. Firstly, this
card has a CD-ROM interface, and I already have an Adaptec SCSI controller
(1542C, I think) on my PC. I don't have a CD-ROM at the moment, but I may
get one eventually. Would the SoundWave 32's CD-ROM interface present any
problems for Linux? If I get a CD-ROM, I shall probably use the Adaptec
SCSI controller, instead of the SoundWave's controller.

A less important question, but does anyone know if this card is supported
by Linux?

Thanks in advance for any information and help! Please reply by e-mail if
at all possible. Thanks!

Cheers,

Kish Shen

Post by K. Sh » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 13:21:23

Hi!

I am thinking of buying the Orchid SoundWave 32 sound card. Firstly, this
card has a CD-ROM interface, and I already have an Adaptec SCSI controller
(1542C, I think) on my PC. I don't have a CD-ROM at the moment, but I may
get one eventually. Would the SoundWave 32's CD-ROM interface present any
problems for Linux? If I get a CD-ROM, I shall probably use the Adaptec
SCSI controller, instead of the SoundWave's controller.

A less important question, but does anyone know if this card is supported
by Linux?

Thanks in advance for any information and help! Please reply by e-mail if
at all possible. Thanks!

Cheers,

Kish Shen

Using Orchid SoundWave with Linux

Post by Mark Swans » Wed, 02 Feb 1994 22:32:10

Quote:>Hi!

>I am thinking of buying the Orchid SoundWave 32 sound card. Firstly, this
>card has a CD-ROM interface, and I already have an Adaptec SCSI controller
>(1542C, I think) on my PC. I don't have a CD-ROM at the moment, but I may
>get one eventually. Would the SoundWave 32's CD-ROM interface present any
>problems for Linux? If I get a CD-ROM, I shall probably use the Adaptec
>SCSI controller, instead of the SoundWave's controller.

I've been using mine for quite some time..  The great!! thing about this card
is that you can configure it to do MPU-401 (wavetable, of course) emulation
through any interrupt you want!!! Mine uses INT 15! EXTREEMELY handy for me.
With sndkit-2.0 I've been playing *.WAV files, *.MOD's (great!), and *.mid
files - even soundblaster stuff and midi stuff simultaneously.
XBoing even works with it!
One thing I do hate, however, is that I have to go into DOS to change the
volume of the card, as the speakers that come with the unit don't have
volume knobs.  Also, I have to boot DOS to configure the card once at the
proper I/O and INT.  Then Linux recognizes the soundblaster and roland device.
It also supports the Yamaha OPL/3 systhesis, and linux recognizes this as well,
but I haven't been able to get sndkit's OPL/3 stuff working to test it.
L8R!
--

Linux FREE BBS V.Fast 24,000bps.  Ottawa, Canada. (613)-829-1941

1. Orchid SoundWave w/Linux... Info

I've had my SoundWave 32 for a week now, and its pretty decent (tested
under DOS only so far).  I think I can get it to work in emulation modes
(MT-32 MIDI or General Midi and Sound Blaster) if I init the card under
DOS first, then warm-boot my machine... I have a feeling, however, that
Sound Blaster support is hardware-only based (not sure though) and will
test it to see if cold-booting the machine w/o init'ing the card will
still yield SB support.  I guess this will do until someone (hint hint)
gets some free time (and a SW32) to hack with and get either an init
program for the DSP under Linux or a native-mode init and new DSP code.

I'll post my SB emulation results w/o init later on.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone | Worth Watching: Babylon 5

2. Tftpd log-error

3. Support for Orchid Soundwave SCSI?

4. Master Boot Record

5. orchid soundwave 32

6. gw2k p5-90xl w/ 1GB drive-Linux install-help me!

7. Stealth 32, Orchid Soundwave 32 and Sony CDU33a

8. Three Wire RS232 Question.

9. How to use Orchid SoundWave 32?

10. Help choosing a Soundcard/CDROM combo (Orchid soundwave 32)

11. Orchid Soundwave 32...

12. Instal ?/Orchid Soundwave 32

13. Orchid Soundwave 32