rxvt dies in slackware 2.0.2

Post by Martin Andre » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 05:59:54

I just installed slackware 2.0.2 - most things work great, but I can't
run rxvt - it dies immediately without any error messages (and the
result code is zero).  I am using the vga16 server (I worried that
it might be a color problem - but I have tried forcing it to back
and white from the command line).  Any ideas?

Martin

--

Dept. of Neurology                Phone (216)444-7485
Cleveland Clinic Foundation       Fax   (216)445-6617

rxvt dies in slackware 2.0.2

Post by Martin Andre » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 21:58:36

: I just installed slackware 2.0.2 - most things work great, but I can't
: run rxvt - it dies immediately without any error messages (and the
: result code is zero).  I am using the vga16 server (I worried that
: it might be a color problem - but I have tried forcing it to back
: and white from the command line).  Any ideas?

Got it - the SHELL environment variable is not set.  While the docs
say that rxvt will try running 'sh' if SHELL is not set - it doesn't
seem to work.  Has anyone else run into this?  (I fixed things by setting
the rxvt.command resource to 'sh'.)

--

Dept. of Neurology                Phone (216)444-7485
Cleveland Clinic Foundation       Fax   (216)445-6617

rxvt dies in slackware 2.0.2

Post by Peter C. Ols » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 22:51:06

I can't get rxvt to run as a user with the base UMSDOS distribution
from sunsite.

I'm writing software under Linux to support my dissertation and I've
recently installed the UMSDOS distribution from sunsite on my wife's
DOS machine so I can snarf up those (otherwise unused) extra cycles.
The installation seemed to be straight-forward, including that of the
16-color X-server.

But I can't get either rxvt or xterm to run when I login as user.
Both work fine when I login as root.  I've checked the permissions I
can think of and I've explicitly set /bin/sh as my SHELL environment
variable --- but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peter

1. Communicator dies on add-ins

I just installed Communicator 4.04.  It works well on most pages, but
dies on one particular URL.
        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sgt_stryker/homepage.htm

When I go back to Navigator 3, it complains about an add-in for audio/x-wav,
but otherwise proceeds nicely.

Is there a way to get Communicator 4 to act sanely?
--

2. help on multiple-partition on two hard disks

3. rxvt -e dies

4. mmap, buffers, devices, vfs

5. rxvt dies ...

6. sis 6326 works correctly !!!

7. How to make a bootimage disk, like the bootdsks.144 ins slackware.

9. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die

10. Zombie die die die

11. /ethan die,die,die

12. Child Died on setup with Slackware

13. Boot disk dies after Slackware 3.0 setup