Manual Pages ...

Post by Jonathan All » Sun, 19 Mar 1995 23:03:41

I've just picked up and unwrapped the man-pages-1.5.tar.gz package from
sunsite, but have problem ... when I ask 'man' for an entry which I know
is in the new set, I still get the old one.

I have, for example:

        /usr/man/man2/assert.2

and

        /usr/man/preformat/cat2/assert.2.gz

How can I easily either update the preformatted ones, or even purge them
easily/automatically.  I guess to update the preformatted ones would be
best since then the access will be quicker ...

Obviously it can be done by hand, but I was wondering if someone has as
easy way already set up to do it ?

Jonathan

Manual Pages ...

Post by Andries Brouw » Mon, 20 Mar 1995 02:46:00

: I've just picked up and unwrapped the man-pages-1.5.tar.gz package from
: sunsite, but have problem ... when I ask 'man' for an entry which I know
: is in the new set, I still get the old one.

: I have, for example:
:       /usr/man/man2/assert.2
: and
:       /usr/man/preformat/cat2/assert.2.gz

: How can I easily either update the preformatted ones, or even purge them
: easily/automatically.

Well, you might try "man man". In case you are using man-1.4c,
"man -w 2 assert" will tell you where man finds assert.2,
and "man -w" or "man --path" will tell you what directories
are searched in what order.

If you just want to throw out the old stuff, try something like
        cd /usr/man/man2
        for i in *.2; do rm -f /usr/man/preformat/cat2/$i.gz; done

Manual Pages ...

Post by Greg Snyd » Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:23:01

>I've just picked up and unwrapped the man-pages-1.5.tar.gz package from
>sunsite, but have problem ... when I ask 'man' for an entry which I know
>is in the new set, I still get the old one.

>I have, for example:

>    /usr/man/man2/assert.2

>and

>    /usr/man/preformat/cat2/assert.2.gz

>How can I easily either update the preformatted ones, or even purge them
>easily/automatically.  I guess to update the preformatted ones would be
>best since then the access will be quicker ...

>Obviously it can be done by hand, but I was wondering if someone has as
>easy way already set up to do it ?

        Well, I went the delete-the-preformatted-ones route, which isn't
great, but here is the tcsh script I used.  Just save it to a file, and run it
as root while in /usr/man :

---purgeman---start---
#!/bin/tcsh
foreach d (man?)
  cd $d
  set section=$d:s/man//
  foreach f (*.$section)
        set preformatted=../preformat/cat$section/$f.gz
        if (-e $preformatted) then
                rm -f $preformatted
        endif
  end
  cd ..
end
---purgeman---end---

-- Greg

--
Greg Snyder                            | "But that's just a logical argument!
Stanford University, Computer Science  |  Can't you prove that some other way?"

http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~gregs/ |

1. man-pages-1.16 - manual pages for Linux

2. Thing about Linux you do not know...

3. A Complete apache manual pages.

4. Can't boot Linux anymore... (long)

5. Manual Pages!!!

6. Restricting user access between network interfaces

7. Help! I can't read manual pages!

8. ufsdump weirdness with DLT7000 drive

9. Manual pages?

10. resolver patch: Where are the manual pages?

11. Online manual pages

12. Printing Manual Pages

13. man-1.5j : read manual pages