XFLOW PROBLEM: HELP!!! ------SOLUTION FOUND!

Post by Jeffrey A Ste » Thu, 25 Nov 1993 09:21:01

Hi, all!  Remember my dire post on emacs swallowing up the ^S and ^Q
characters when I was modemming into my school and telnetting into my
Internet-connected Linux box via our school's terminal servers?  I
struggled with this for weeks.  Well, I finally came to a solution,
thanks to Charles Hedrick, who recognized this problem and went to
great lengths to fix the many original coding errors which caused it.
I'm including my notes on how to use his patches to recompile a new
telnetd daemon so Emacs/Mg/others will work.

Thanks to all those who responded, but especially those who
recognized this as a legitimate bug, and not my general incompetence.

Let me know your experiences. Believe me, I want to know if doing it
this way does not work for you, so I can change the directions and

By the way, I only had this problem with CISCO terminal servers.
Granted, the problem *was* with Linux, but telnetting into my Linux
box from elsewhere did not create these problems.  I played with the
debugging reports for days, and even had some of our support staff here
at UCI volunteer their time to look at it (thanks, Mike Richey! :)

Since the original bugs had to do with telnet protocol negotiation and
switching of flow control flags, it is highly likely that CISCO
servers negotiate TELNET protocol slightly differently, and that this
is what made the difference in my case.

Which brings me to a lesson I picked up about human (or at least
North American) behavior:

This is what is called in statistics an 'interactional' problem:
Linux works fine *most* of the time (which is why most of you haven't
noticed this bug).  The CISCO servers work fine *most* of the time,
(which is why our support staff here at UCI had not heard of the
problem). But when Linux and a CISCO terminal server interact, they do
not successfully negotiate flow control.  Interactional problems are
inherently difficult to diagnose (some day I'll write a book,
co-authored by Clifford Stoll: Cuckoo's Egg II).  I think we as humans
prefer single-cause problems.

Please let me know if you had a similar experience.  For reference, I
was working with SLS 0.99pl12.  Do all this as root, of course..

HOW TO REVIVE ^S/^Q IN EMACS/MG/ETC. WHEN TELNETTING INTO A LINUX BOX:

Basically, this fix involves applying the patches from Charles to the
ancestral headers used to build telnetd, and then recompiling telnetd.

============
1) Get these two distributions from tsx-11.mit.edu:

   a) /pub/linux/packages/net/net2/sources/telnet/telnet-552.tar.z
         (for the patches which fix this problem)
   b) /pub/linux/packages/net/new-net2/telnet-rlogin.tar.z
         (for telnetd source, if you do not have it in your
          /usr/src/net-src/telnet directory, or if, as in my
          case, it would not compile)

Doesn't matter where you untar them, though in the end, the contents
of the first ended up for me in /usr/src/net-src/telnet, and the
second ended up in /usr/src/net-src/export.

2) Untar them with tar -xvf <filename>

3) Read the README file from Charles Hedrick in the export directory.
Apply the patches with chr_drv.diff and termios.diff as he's said to.

3a) I'm not sure whether there are other programs (besides telnetd) which
these header files (which the diff files apply to) affect, so I went
ahead and recompiled my kernel, too (including the make clean
command). You may have success without this step.  I don't know enough
about where these headers are used.

4) After applying the patches from telnet-rlogin.tar.z, then go to the
telnet-552.tar.z source, and recompile telnetd (since it will be using
the header files you've just patched.)  I believe it expects to run
from the termcap file, though I took out the -DTERMCAP flag in the
Linux section of the Config.generic file, so as to run from terminfo,
which I prefer.  Your choice, here.  (Warning, I believe telnetd will
still compile if you take out this flag, but telnet will not. I didn't
care. Telnet was not broken, so I didn't need a new one.)

5) cp /etc/telnetd /etc/telnetd.old

6) cp telnetd /etc/telnetd
       ^---the one you've just made.

7) PLAN A:
   Comment out your old telnet line in /etc/inetd.conf and replace with:

   telnet       stream  tcp     nowait  root    /etc/telnetd    telnetd

   PLAN B:
   (The above does, of course, bypass security lockouts via hosts.deny and
   hosts.allow via /usr/etc/tcpd, but I do not lock out specific machines
   anyway.  If you wanted to keep your old tcpd format, you could
   probably use this line instead, but I haven't tried it:

   telnet       stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/etc/tcpd   in.telnetd

   This is in fact the way that SLS is shipped, I believe.  Just remember
   that if you keep it this way, use the in.telnetd that comes with SLS,
   don't use Charles': His in.telnetd *includes* telnetd in it, instead
   of *calling* another telnetd.  This is, I believe, non-standard. Thus,
   if you used Charles' in.telnetd (the one from telnetd-rlogin.tar.z)
   what would happen is you would not end up calling the telnetd from
   Pete's distribution (telnet-552.tar.z) which you just compiled and
   copied over.  I know, it's wierd, but Charles himself recommends that
   you not use his in.telnetd, to just apply the patches he gives you in
   steps 1) and 2) of the README, but to use Pete's telnetd, since it
   includes the newer telnetd features.)

8) ps -ax (look for the process number for inetd. Suppose you find out
   it's 35).

9) kill -HUP 35  (restarts inetd)

10) Log out, log back in.  Should be done.

"Timex Sinclair UNIX.. coming soon to a dealer near you."

1. XFLOW PROBLEM: HELP!

This is REALLY VERY ANNOYING!!!  I can't find any FAQ answer to this, and
both I and another fellow have posted, without any response.  So ANYONE
who knows what's going on, would you please let this clueless guy in
on how to fix this???

I can't turn off xflow somehow.  For instance, while in Emacs or
Mg, if I type ^S, it interprets it as a stop, instead of letting
Emacs have the character.  So saving is impossible except via
^X^C or ^X^W, etc..  searches always have to be done backward, etc.
sz/rz won't work, either.

I HAVE looked at stty OVER and OVER and OVER... I have looked into
tset, gettytabs, and even setterm.  This is a pain.  I have tried to
mimick other machines' stty configurations which don't have the same
problem when I log in with exactly the same modem software via the
same terminal server.  But nothing seems to help.

Does anyone know what to set?  Is it the driver?  What?

Thanks for *any* help, sorry if I haven't been specific enough, I can
post more if necessary.  Please, no 'idiot' responses, though: I am
NOT posting capriciously-- The only reason I am posting is because we
am stumped and can't think of anything more to try.

"Timex Sinclair UNIX.. coming soon to a dealer near you."

2. Which CD-RW??

3. Please HELP me find a solution

4. Support for Diamond FirePort 40 Dual ??

5. Help in finding an all Redhat solution|Software and Manuals

6. pppd on demand problem

7. need help finding router solution

8. Small Graphic Toolkit

9. Help needed finding a solution (REPOSTED)

10. Help finding a printing solution!

11. ppp problem found (I think) solution a new modem?

12. in.h problem; can't find solution.

13. Solution Found: sendmail-8.9.1 DNS problems