Installing software...

Post by Xenofon Grigoriad » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:44:07

Hi there,

I am Linux-newbie, but I have been reading some free documentation. So
I have a simple question. Where I am I SUPPOSED to install a software
like StarOffice, so that all users of a client computer can use it?

The installation assistant lets you choose the path. Now I have read
about the directory structure of Linux, that programs should be that
installed under /usr, and that users normally only have read access to
this directory.

How about StarOffice? It seems to need writing permission to some of
the files it is installing.

Where would you install a software like that?
How would you define the user access?

Thanks in advance,

Xenofon Grigoriadis

Installing software...

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:00:18

Quote:> Hi there,

> I am Linux-newbie, but I have been reading some free documentation. So
> I have a simple question. Where I am I SUPPOSED to install a software
> like StarOffice, so that all users of a client computer can use it?

> The installation assistant lets you choose the path. Now I have read
> about the directory structure of Linux, that programs should be that
> installed under /usr, and that users normally only have read access to
> this directory.

> How about StarOffice? It seems to need writing permission to some of
> the files it is installing.

> Where would you install a software like that?
> How would you define the user access?

> Thanks in advance,

> Xenofon Grigoriadis

man hier

ken k

Installing software...

Post by Xyer » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:33:52

All softwares should be installed in administrators prefer location. I
use /usr/local/utils. File / directory permissions can be used to
allow other users access. If you have many groups, perhaps you could
chose

/usr/local/admin/utils
/usr/local/accounts/utils
/usr/local/network/utils

A lot of it is up to you. You make choice!

Installing software...

Post by horn » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:15:56

Xenofon Grigoriadis scribbled:

Quote:> Hi there,

> I am Linux-newbie, but I have been reading some free documentation. So
> I have a simple question. Where I am I SUPPOSED to install a software
> like StarOffice, so that all users of a client computer can use it?

In the case of StarOffice, you can perform a network installation as user
root, then for each user they perform an installation which only puts about
1.4 MB of files in their home directory leaving the bulk of the StarOffice
suite in the common area selected durinf the network installation.

./setup net  - I think is the correct parameters

<deletia>

--
Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

1. Install software with its prereq software in a different directory

Hi folks,
i have the follwoing problem
A software (A) needs for installation a different package (B) which is
not installed but available in a different directory.
example
# installp -ad /lppsource/A A.bff
# error needed fileset B.bff

# Directory structure
/lppsource/A
/lppsource/B

Is there any way to tell the installp command (maybe with an
enviroment variable) to use also the directory "/lppsource/B" for
installation ?

Hajo

2. diald - ARRGH!

3. Software for Installing Software

4. Getting RPM files from distribution CD to Linux

5. How to determine installed software ?

6. How to get background job status

7. Adding indexes for installed software to docsearch?

8. Middle button to close windows

9. Help on installing Software

10. Installing software from CD-ROM

11. HELP! Problem installing software