Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. Howto?

Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. Howto?

Post by Stefan Giessl » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 00:45:51

 * Newsgroups:
comp.windows.x.i386unix,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help

: Okay while we are on the topic of mice and 3 buttons.

: I have an unbranded 3 button mouse which under Win31 works either as
: Micro$oft or as a Genius.
My Genius mouse works with Win31 as a 3-Button mouse when used with the
Genius driver :-) .

: It works fine as a two button serial mouse under X with emulate 3
: buttons turned on, but I would really like to get all three buttons
: working.
Try the following Xconfig entry:

MouseSystems    "/dev/mouse"

to use your mouse in MouseSystems (3-Button) mode, and comment out

Emulate3Buttons

'cause there is no need to emulate the 3rd button.

     Stefan
--
                                          | Stefan Giessler
Experience is directly proportional to    |

Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. Howto?

Post by Brent R. Ea » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 22:58:45

Quote:>: Okay while we are on the topic of mice and 3 buttons.
>: It works fine as a two button serial mouse under X with emulate 3
>: buttons turned on, but I would really like to get all three buttons
>: working.
>Try the following Xconfig entry:

>MouseSystems    "/dev/mouse"

>to use your mouse in MouseSystems (3-Button) mode, and comment out

>Emulate3Buttons

>'cause there is no need to emulate the 3rd button.

I have the Logitech trackman (serial).  The trackman/mouseman are
pretty much identical as far as signals and such.

To get this working properly, I have the following set:

MouseMan (Or whatever that one was)
ChordMiddle

If you are feeling brave, experiment with the different settings.
When I tried MouseSystems it gave me all kinds of strange button
events when moving the mouse, and other errors when pushing buttons.

- Brent -

** Don't bother asking questions, I am not feeling nice this lifetime **

Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. Howto?

Post by David A. Ran » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 05:32:57

Quote:>I have the Logitech trackman (serial).  The trackman/mouseman are
>pretty much identical as far as signals and such.
>When I tried MouseSystems it gave me all kinds of strange button
>events when moving the mouse, and other errors when pushing buttons.

I had the same problems with my Logitech mouse.  I had to configure the
kernel for a Microsoft mouse and put:

Logitech        "/dev/cua0"

In my Xconfig to have everything work.  Real intelligent huh?

Post by Graeme Jon » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 08:56:21

>>I have the Logitech trackman (serial).  The trackman/mouseman are
>>pretty much identical as far as signals and such.

>>When I tried MouseSystems it gave me all kinds of strange button
>>events when moving the mouse, and other errors when pushing buttons.

>I had the same problems with my Logitech mouse.  I had to configure the
>kernel for a Microsoft mouse and put:

>Logitech    "/dev/cua0"

>In my Xconfig to have everything work.  Real intelligent huh?

 You think that's intelligent, to get the 3 buttons on my mouseman
 working I had to enter in my Xconfig --
  mouseman "/dev/mouse"
  Emulate3Buttons

Huh x 2 !!

Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. Howto?

Post by Robert Murray - MARCO North Americ » Thu, 21 Jul 1994 08:03:18

: >: Okay while we are on the topic of mice and 3 buttons.

: >: It works fine as a two button serial mouse under X with emulate 3
: >: buttons turned on, but I would really like to get all three buttons
: >: working.

: >Try the following Xconfig entry:
: >
: >MouseSystems    "/dev/mouse"
: >
: >to use your mouse in MouseSystems (3-Button) mode, and comment out
: >
: >Emulate3Buttons
: >
: >'cause there is no need to emulate the 3rd button.

: I have the Logitech trackman (serial).  The trackman/mouseman are
: pretty much identical as far as signals and such.

: To get this working properly, I have the following set:

: MouseMan (Or whatever that one was)
: ChordMiddle

: If you are feeling brave, experiment with the different settings.
: When I tried MouseSystems it gave me all kinds of strange button
: events when moving the mouse, and other errors when pushing buttons.

: - Brent -

: ** Don't bother asking questions, I am not feeling nice this lifetime **

 a I also have a trackman (serial) the newer model when I changed from my
old trackman to the new one X did not work with it. I hade to use

  Microsoft     "/dev/mouse"
        Baudrate 1200
 Before I used just Logitech "/dev/mouse"

 I have had no problems with the trackmen and all buttons have worked.

   Robert Murray

Post by r.. » Sun, 31 Jul 1994 13:53:15

>I have found something different from what has been described.  Without
>emulate3button, my serial Mouseman responds as a 3-button mouse under
>Windows 3.1, but the middle button is disabled after starting XFree86.
>However, if I briefly unplug the mouse from the serial port, it becomes
>a 3-button mouse again and works correctly with XFree86.  This looks to
>me as though the XFree86 startup code is changing the mode of the
>mouse.  I looked briefly at the code, but didn't find anything.

>Does anyone know anything more about this?

>Bob Wilson

My serial Mouseman 3-button exhibits the exact same behavior.
I have to unplug and plug the mouse back every single time in X
to get it to work correctly as a 3-button mouse.

ChordMiddle makes it work somewhat but gives the same effect
as though Emulate3Buttons has been specifed.

Here are the symptoms:

Configuration: a 3-button Mouseman mouse, XFree86 2.1,
and Linux 1.0.9 (Slackware 2.0).

Case 1:
------
In the Xconfig file, I put:             mouseman "/dev/ttyS0" ChordMiddle
then:
        button1 ->   button 1
        button 2 ->  button 2
        button 3 ->  button 3
        button 1+3 ->        button 2

        Not satisfactory, since I do *not* want to map 1+3=2.
        Note that I did not specify Emulate3Buttons. So my 1st
        question is why did it do emulation ?

Case 2:
------
Now if in the Xconfig file, I put:       mouseman "/dev/ttyS0"
then:
        button1 ->   button 1
        button 2 ->  button 3
        button 3 ->  button 3
        button 1+3 ->        button 1+3

        Not satisfactory either, because button 2 is not seen as 2.

Case 3:
------
However, with the same Xconfig file as in case 2, if I unplug the mouse
and plug it back in while I'm in X, then the mouse works perfectly !!!
        button1 ->   button 1
        button 2 ->  button 2
        button 3 ->  button 3
        button 1+3 ->        button 1+3

Note that if I quit X, and restart X, I would have to again unplug
and plug back the mouse to have it correctly.

R. Trinh Ta
AT&T Bell Labs

Post by R. W. Wils » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 23:04:46

>>>I had the same problems with my Logitech mouse.  I had to configure the
>>>kernel for a Microsoft mouse and put:

>>>Logitech    "/dev/cua0"

>>>In my Xconfig to have everything work.  Real intelligent huh?
>Configuring the kernel for a Microsoft mouse has got nothing to do
>with serial mice, applications access them using the standard serial
>drivers. The mouse keyword in Xconfig is not the name of a driver, it
>is just a keyword telling the X server how to interpret the data
>stream coming from the mouse. The kernel drivers are for mice that
>need a driver of their own, like the PS/2 mouse or the various bus
>types.
>> You think that's intelligent, to get the 3 buttons on my mouseman
>> working I had to enter in my Xconfig --
>>  mouseman "/dev/mouse"
>>  Emulate3Buttons
>>Huh x 2 !!
>Your mouse is generating a left+right button press when you click the
>middle button. That's what the emulate3buttons expects, but a better
>keyword for you would be 'chordmiddle'. This works like
>emulate3buttons, but the X server knows the that a middle button press
>generates *simultaneous* left and right button presses. This has the
>advantage that the X server can respond right away to a single left or
>right button press. Using emulate3buttons the X server has to wait
>after a left button press to see if the right button is pressed next,
>or if the mouse is moved. Only at that point it can decide whether to
>emulate a middle button press or interpret it as a left button press.
>See, everything has its explanation. There *is* intelligent life after
>all. (?)

I have found something different from what has been described.  Without
emulate3button, my serial Mouseman responds as a 3-button mouse under
Windows 3.1, but the middle button is disabled after starting XFree86.
However, if I briefly unplug the mouse from the serial port, it becomes
a 3-button mouse again and works correctly with XFree86.  This looks to
me as though the XFree86 startup code is changing the mode of the
mouse.  I looked briefly at the code, but didn't find anything.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Bob Wilson

Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. Howto?

Post by Brent R. Ea » Tue, 02 Aug 1994 16:26:47

I have two entries in my Xconfig for my Trackman serial (mouseman)
The trackman is just a trackball version of the mouseman 3 button
serial jobbie.

mouseman  "/dev/mouse" <- link to /dev/ttyS0
chordmiddle

I have no problems with the buttons.

- Brent -

** Panic! Could not locate coffee - Operator halted **

1. Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. Howto?

Hi,
I have a Logitech 3 button mouse that have been trying
to get working with Xfree. The setup for the Slackware
distribution gives the option of several mice, including a
Logitech Bus mouse, but not a serial mouse as I have.

Could anyone kindly give me some guidance as to what I need
to do to get this mouse working. Please send me mail. Thank
you very much in advance.

--
Best Regards

Peter

2. And rms gets cheated yet again.

3. will Sun's FDDI or 100MB/s work with appletalk?

4. Using Logitech 3 button mouse, as a Logitech 3 button mouse.

5. 36 GB Maxtor Hard disk install HELP!!

6. Logitech 3 Button Mouse Under XFree.. H

7. REQ - 3DFX Voodoo3_2000

8. Middle button on Logitech 3 button mouse

9. Mouse Problem: Logitech Mouse Button 2

10. Logitech First Mouse (tm) 3 Button Mouse

11. middle mouse button + Logitech pilot mouse

12. Middle mouse button acts wierd! Using Logitech mouse