EISA Ethernet Cards Anyone?

Post by Mike Prevo » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 23:43:31

I have had wonderful luck with the SMC Elite 16 ISA cards.  I
made the mistake of thinking the SMC Elite 32T EISA would work
with Linux.  It doesnt.  I've Also had lots of luck with the SMC
Ultra ISA card.  I haven't tried an SMC Ultra 32 yet.  Any ideas
if it would work?

I'm not tied to SMC or anything so my real question is:

   IS ANYONE USING A EISA NETWORK CARD AND WHAT TYPE?

Also, I'm new to EISA and am kinda fuzzy on if say the "EISA
version" of an ISA card should be compatible with the "ISA
version".  Like, is it possible that the SMC Ultra 32 EISA be
compatible with the SMC Ultra ISA card?

My vendor says he can trade out the 3 SMC Elite 32T's I got
for another card.  Just wondering what card is fastest for Linux
if I'm doing lots of NFS.

Thanks for your help.

EISA Ethernet Cards Anyone?

Post by They Call Me D-Ni » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 09:51:26

: I have had wonderful luck with the SMC Elite 16 ISA cards.  I
: made the mistake of thinking the SMC Elite 32T EISA would work
: with Linux.  It doesnt.  I've Also had lots of luck with the SMC
: Ultra ISA card.  I haven't tried an SMC Ultra 32 yet.  Any ideas
: if it would work?

: I'm not tied to SMC or anything so my real question is:

:    IS ANYONE USING A EISA NETWORK CARD AND WHAT TYPE?

I am in the same boat.  I was using a SMC Elite 16 and switched a an
Intel EtherExpress 32 (EISA) and have not been able to get it to work.
After looking at the card, it seems to have the same i82586 co-processor
as the ISA version of this crad, yet the EtherExpress Alpha drives doesnt
seem to been want to attempt to detect the card (i.e, no messages about
detection during boot).

The onlyEISA card that seems to be supported is the Ansel 3200 card, I think.

EISA Ethernet Cards Anyone?

Post by Steve Kneiz » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 05:25:19

: : I have had wonderful luck with the SMC Elite 16 ISA cards.  I
: : made the mistake of thinking the SMC Elite 32T EISA would work
: : with Linux.  It doesnt.  I've Also had lots of luck with the SMC
: : Ultra ISA card.  I haven't tried an SMC Ultra 32 yet.  Any ideas
: : if it would work?

: : I'm not tied to SMC or anything so my real question is:

: :    IS ANYONE USING A EISA NETWORK CARD AND WHAT TYPE?

: I am in the same boat.  I was using a SMC Elite 16 and switched a an
: Intel EtherExpress 32 (EISA) and have not been able to get it to work.

I use the EISA card from 3COM, the 3C579, and it works well.  It is
not Bus-Mastering, but that makes little difference on my Novell
servers, so I doubt it does here either.  I have done FTP's between
my Linux and VAX 3195, and have at times obtained 950K/sec on transfers.
I get 890 K/sec write from a WS with 3C579 to my Novell 3.12 server with
a busmaster EISA card.

Good luck!

Steve...

|    Director                                 P.O. Box 1000                |
|    Academic Computing                       Collegeville, PA 19426       |
|                                             Phone (610) 489 4111 x 2244  |
|    Ursinus College                          FAX   (610) 489 0634         |

EISA Ethernet Cards Anyone?

Post by Michael Laus » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 20:40:08

>: I have had wonderful luck with the SMC Elite 16 ISA cards.  I
>: made the mistake of thinking the SMC Elite 32T EISA would work
>: with Linux.  It doesnt.  I've Also had lots of luck with the SMC
>: Ultra ISA card.  I haven't tried an SMC Ultra 32 yet.  Any ideas
>: if it would work?

>: I'm not tied to SMC or anything so my real question is:

>:    IS ANYONE USING A EISA NETWORK CARD AND WHAT TYPE?

>I am in the same boat.  I was using a SMC Elite 16 and switched a an
>Intel EtherExpress 32 (EISA) and have not been able to get it to work.
>After looking at the card, it seems to have the same i82586 co-processor
>as the ISA version of this crad, yet the EtherExpress Alpha drives doesnt
>seem to been want to attempt to detect the card (i.e, no messages about
>detection during boot).

>The onlyEISA card that seems to be supported is the Ansel 3200 card, I think.

I have no problems with the 3COM509 EISA Card.

--
---
Magic is real unless declared integer

PGP available on request

EISA Ethernet Cards Anyone?

Post by Alec Muffe » Fri, 23 Dec 1994 21:45:08

>I use the EISA card from 3COM, the 3C579, and it works well.  It is
>not Bus-Mastering, but that makes little difference on my Novell
>servers, so I doubt it does here either.  I have done FTP's between
>my Linux and VAX 3195, and have at times obtained 950K/sec on transfers.
>I get 890 K/sec write from a WS with 3C579 to my Novell 3.12 server with
>a busmaster EISA card.

Now this is interesting; I've not yet decided whether to purchase a
3c579, or a 3c509 and run it in the 509's "EISA-compatibility mode".

For the record, I have a 16Mb Dell 466/ME EISA box, with a AHA-1740,
2.75Gb of storage, and I use it as fileserver for a trio of diskless
Sun workstations. I currently have a crummy 8-bit 3c503 that's holding
me back because it drops so many UDP fragments, the Sun systems hang
quite frequently, especially when swapping over NFS.

I've checked 3Com's CardFax service, asked around, and generally been
snooping, but have not yet established whether there's any significant
advantage in paying the overhead for a *real* EISA card - the '579.

The only advantage I can see is that (presumably) memory access to/from
the card's I/O buffers would be 32-bits wide on the '579, 16-bits wide
on the '509 in EISA mode.  Kindly correct me if this is wrong.

Both cards suffer from small Rx buffers, both have the 16-bit chipset,
and as far as I know, there's zippo difference between them, barring
the edge connector.

I don't suppose anyone has any comment upon whether the 579's native
"EISA nature" gives me functionality that is worth the extra cost ?

Further: if there is an advantage, does the Linux driver utilise it ?

        - alec
---
Alec Muffett                                     "The Unix that is marketable,
Sun Microsystems (UK)                                    is not the true Unix"
Network Security Group
(speaking for himself, not his employers)