TeX: texinfo not found (What is that?)

Post by n.. » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I installed the entire TeX package on my Linux machine.  Now I'm trying
to produce a *.ps file from the cfengine documentation and I keep getting
the following error message:

$ tex cfengine.texinfo
This is TeX, Version 3.1415N (C version 6.1)
(cfengine.texinfo
! I can't find file `texinfo'.
l.1 \input texinfo

Please type another input file name:

I'm utterly without a clue.

Nancy M.
Need help... brain dumb... inspiration won't come...
--
Nancy Milligan          Milligan Consulting Services

619/260-1442            Internet Connectivity, Firewalls, Usenet, WWW
San Diego, CA           http://nmcs.com

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>$ tex cfengine.texinfo
>This is TeX, Version 3.1415N (C version 6.1)
>(cfengine.texinfo
>! I can't find file `texinfo'.
>l.1 \input texinfo

>Please type another input file name:

You need the file texinfo.tex .
This comes as a part of the GNU "texinfo" package.
You can get it from any of the GNU archives,
eg prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu .

In fact it comes with Slackware.
Maybe you have it but not in the right place
(where TEXINPUTS points).

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

Post by Dan Wild » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I installed the entire TeX package on my Linux machine.  Now I'm trying
>to produce a *.ps file from the cfengine documentation and I keep getting
>the following error message:
>$ tex cfengine.texinfo
>This is TeX, Version 3.1415N (C version 6.1)
>(cfengine.texinfo
>! I can't find file `texinfo'.
>l.1 \input texinfo

>Please type another input file name:
>I'm utterly without a clue.

The file you need is 'texinfo.tex' and it appears to be missing from
the last couple of Slackware releases, at least. The file is supposed to
be part of the texinfo package, but it wasn't there in mine, I grabbed
one from the binutils-2.5 sources. You can park it in your current
directory or you can try and intuit where TeX might search. Unfortunately
your 'man' pages probably won't help much, mine have all the wrong
paths listed in them. Try

cd /usr
find . -name '*.tex' -print >/tmp/suspects

then look in /tmp/suspects for a great concentration of .tex files.
I put mine in /usr/lib/texmf/tex/tex/misc, and TeX seems to find it
just fine there. But beware: if you are running a different distribution,
no doubt all your paths are different from mine.

You might try getting texinfo-3.6.tar.gz from prep.ai.mit.edu in
directory /pub/gnu, or for that matter from your favorite gnu archive.
The texinfo.tex file is included there.

---

Post by Dan Wild » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Unfortunately your 'man' pages probably won't help much, mine
>have all the wrong paths listed in them.

Partial retraction: the tex man page on my current Slackware
(from August InfoMagic CDROM) lists /usr/lib/texmf/tex// as the
TEXINPUTS path. This at least gets you into the ballpark, as to
where texinfo.tex should live. I recall the paths being in error
on earlier man pages, but I can't verify that as I don't have
the older man pages any more.

Not that you are obliged to put it there; if you're just printing a
single document, put it wherever your document is. If you frequently
print texinfo documents or generate their info files, it is much
handier to have texinfo.tex where TeX knows to look for it.

---

1. Texinfo vs. TeX vs. DocBook

Hi

I wrote my own program and want to write normal documentation for it. I
want to write it in a some kind of formatting language and then produce
PDF (or PS) and HTML variants from it. As far as I know there are 3 big
formatting languages: TeX, Texinfo and DocBook (which is actually based
on XML or SGML).

What language should I choose? What are pros and cons of each of them?
Are there articles with detailed comparison of these languages?

2. running lynx on specific port

3. The new Slackware doesn't have texinfo.tex

4. DIP problem: Unknown Server Error

5. Why is Tex/LaTex/TexInfo so retarded?

6. Marvell 88E8053

7. Where is texinfo.tex

8. Recording sound on Linux

9. dvips not finding fonts (SLS 1.03 TeX installation)--help!

10. I could not find the FAQ, so I am asking (I think) FA Q's

11. I am not able to find the file /etc/networks

12. Can't find the Texinfo stuff

13. ps->tex html->tex?