video shadows 1meg ram on vl 8meg system

video shadows 1meg ram on vl 8meg system

Post by Jim S » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 04:17:50

just helped a friend installing linux 1.0.9 and xf86 2.1.1 on a dx2-66 8meg
system.  it seems to be swapping constantly when running x.  /proc/meminfo
shows only 7meg of available memory.  it's my suspicion that the other
meg of ram's address space is usurped by the 1meg video card.  the extra meg
is still unavailabe after we disabled all bios shadowing in bios setup.
12.5% memory loss is quite significant.  shouldn't vesa local bus video
card use address beyond the first 16meg?

i have the similar problem on my own system; but it being a 16meg system, i
don't have much to complain; it being an isa system, i have no right to
complain.  i'm thinking of upgrading my system to a lb one with 4meg video
card; but would be disinclined to do so if a 4meg card would push 3 more
megs of system ram into black hole, even on a vl/pci system.

thanks
jim

1. RH Linux v5.2 on a 486 w/ 8meg ram

Reference my attempt to install RH Linux v5.2 on a 486sx w/ 8meg ram:

So, after two weeks of moving around memory modules, changing bios setting,
removing every componet in my computer one by one and reading the hardware
requirements for RedHat 5.2 about 10 times . . .

     I got my hands on Red Hat Linux version 4.1 and it installed just
fine!!  It installed with all of my add-in cards inserted and my standard
bios setting in effect.  So why would version 4.1 install without locking-up
while v 5.2 breaks--unless there is a bug in v5.2 install w/ 8meg ram . . .

2. FVWM95 ignores MenuFont settings ???

3. Installin RH Linux on an IBM Ps/1 -- 486SX 20 Mhz 8Meg Ram hard drive prob

4. mgetty, ttyS0

5. Is 16/24 bpp with Mach32 1meg ram possible?

6. LILO starting problems

7. Diamond Viper 330 with 8megs RAM?

8. How much physical RAM?

9. x86 on 486dx100 with 8meg of ram

10. Installing linux on Pentium laptops with 8meg ram and no CDROM?

11. Video Driver for Matrox G200 AGP 8Meg?

12. new system ?s (video, EIDE, cacheable RAM)

13. Upgrading system w/o shadow to one w/ shadow paswords