Daylight Savings Time & linux 1.0 ?

Post by Eric Cartm » Tue, 05 Apr 1994 23:54:22

last fall, running 0.99pl?? the time reported by my machine
moved nicely from edt to est. This weekend, however, the hour
did not change, although the time is reported as edt. Is this
a problem with linux 1.0?
--
           ___
   ____   /   \

Post by Ted Deppn » Wed, 06 Apr 1994 00:26:23

> last fall, running 0.99pl?? the time reported by my machine
> moved nicely from edt to est. This weekend, however, the hour
> did not change, although the time is reported as edt. Is this
> a problem with linux 1.0?

I don't believe this is a "kernel" function...  my Slack 1.1.2 pl15j
installations all updated, if they were running at 2am on Sunday.  on HP
systems, time changes were handled by cron (the hp9000 anyway)..

At any rate, my systems report PDT time, and have the right time..  btw,
are we now in standard time, or daylight savings?   I get confused so
easily..   :)

--
Ted Deppner
  sactoh0.sac.ca.us!qubix!ted

Post by Ulick Staffo » Wed, 06 Apr 1994 01:10:40

>At any rate, my systems report PDT time, and have the right time..  btw,
>are we now in standard time, or daylight savings?   I get confused so
>easily..   :)

Depends on where you are.  If, like me, you are in Indiana (apart from NW),
Arizona or Hawaii, you are on Standard time - and were on standard time
last week as well.  Otherwise you are now on Daylight saving time - a quaint
custom introduced as an energy saving measure in WWI, and still practiced
in many places.  My Slackware distribution set to US Eastern-Indiana
performed perfectly and my system clock is unchanged, just like my VCR's
(it changed last fall before I worked out that I could turn the daylight
saving time feature off).  However, I shudder to  hink what the DOS
partition might do to the time.
  'There was a  master come unto the earth, | Ulick Stafford,
     born in the holy land of Indiana,      | Dept of Chemical Engineering,
  in the mystical hills east of Fort Wayne'.| Notre Dame, IN 46556

Daylight Savings Time & linux 1.0 ?

Post by Eric Cartm » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 03:07:14

YOU EEEEDIOT! YOU BLOATED SACK OF PROTOPLASM! Why don't
you check your CMOS before pointing your cheesy finger
at the kernel?

ooops. sorry. CMOS clock running badly.
--
           ___
   ____   /   \

1. Daylight Savings time, system time, hardware time....

I am sure that this has been rehashed a bunch of times, but I can't seem
to get it through my thick  skull...

I have a RedHat 6.0 system, 2.2.13 kernel.  I need to configure the darn
thing to keep the right time.  I can't seem to correctly configure the
hardware clock so that it correctly deals with DST.

I tried setting it to UTC using RedHat's tools, but it had no effect.
The time zone information must be correct, since the calendar displays
EDT, but the hardware clock and the system clock are now exactly
backwards.....  The hardware clock is one hour ahead of the system
clock.

Wed Apr 19 13:48:25 EDT 2000
Wed Apr 19 14:48:26 2000  -0.940635 seconds

What files do I need to change (by hand, not through possibly broken GUI
tools) to make this right?

Thanks,

--Yan
--

Think different
        ride a recumbent

2. Outbound mail "Host Unknown" msg

3. FAT & Daylight Savings Time Error

4. Installing Linux from Adaptec Mini-SCSI Plus

5. Exact time for Daylight Savings Time change

6. Yggdrasil (fall 93) linux CD-ROM...

7. Linux Time setup - Daylight savings

8. Full featured Win95 dialup to Linux

9. How to set daylight savings time in Linux?

10. Olympic Daylight Savings Time...

11. daylight savings time?

12. Daylight savings time - setup

13. daylight savings time...