DOS 6.22 upgrade (Whiped out my Linux boot)

DOS 6.22 upgrade (Whiped out my Linux boot)

Post by Bret A. Johns » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 07:00:46

Well, This is why you should never run DOS on your Linux box or have your
ex-best bud bring a new copy of dos 6.2 and a 12 pack over to your house
and make you buy the pizza!!!!

Yup, it is true!  I went to pay the pizza guy and when I came back he already
started to upgrade my dos partition a whole 15 megs one..

Anyway, he whiped out my LILO boot strap on the drive!!!!

So, Now that I may be in jail soon. please send alot of Linux doc's and
HOW-TO's to my cell.

How can I revive my LILO boot?
I do have an older boot disk and I think I should be able to boot.
then rerun /etc/lilo/lilo??????

Will, this restore my boot strap to use LILO instead of dos crap?

Thanks...

DOS 6.22 upgrade (Whiped out my Linux boot)

Post by Dan P » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 08:22:57

Quote:>Anyway, he whiped out my LILO boot strap on the drive!!!!

>How can I revive my LILO boot?
>I do have an older boot disk and I think I should be able to boot.
>then rerun /etc/lilo/lilo??????

>Will, this restore my boot strap to use LILO instead of dos crap?

Probably.

But if you boot Linux from the first hard disk, there is absolutely no
reason to install LILO on the MBR. Just use the MBR created by the
MSDOS FDISK, install LILO on the boot sector of the Linux partition and
make that partition the active partition. This way, you don't have to
boot Linux from a rescue floppy any time some idiotic MSDOS installation
program fiddles with the MBR. All you have to do is use the MSDOS FDISK
to make the Linux partition active again.

Of course, turning the MSDOS partition into a native Linux partition will
be a better cure for this kind of problems :-)

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, CN Division

Post by David Kastr » Thu, 27 Oct 1994 16:39:13

>In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.admin

>> Well, This is why you should never run DOS on your Linux box or have your
>> ex-best bud bring a new copy of dos 6.2 and a 12 pack over to your house
>> and make you buy the pizza!!!!

>> Yup, it is true!  I went to pay the pizza guy and when I came back he already
>> started to upgrade my dos partition a whole 15 megs one..

>> Anyway, he whiped out my LILO boot strap on the drive!!!!

>Not his fault... post-OS/2 2.0 versions of MS-DOS do this, probably in
>order to be annoying to OS/2 users.  Blame Micro$haft.

The amusing thing is the message when doing this, something like
"Upgrading to Microsoft 6.22 instead of current setup"
Who would ever have thought that changing from OS/2 (or Linux) to
MSDOS 6.22 was an *up*grade.
--

 Tel: +49-241-72419 Fax: +49-241-79502
 Goethestr. 20, D-52064 Aachen

 Tel: +49-241-72419 Fax: +49-241-79502
 Goethestr. 20, D-52064 Aachen

1. Using DOS 6.22 as boot manager

I am presently using the multiple configuration options in config.sys in
DOS 6.22 to select between booting DOS and Linux. I am including the DOS
Loadlin utility in my autoexec.bat config for the Linux option since my
CDROM has a required DOS based driver to be loaded in order for my CDROM
to be recognized by Linux. This has been working well for me. I am plan-
ing to install WIN95 on my second drive, and would like to have this OS as
a third boot option. Can anyone who may have done something similar along
these lines give me some help? I prefer to avoid LILO, which I know would
work, since I need to execute the DOS driver program under DOS prior to

TIA

Jerry

2. Sequent PTX Binaries for CERN or NCSA WWW Server

3. Linux can't see partitions created with DOS 6.22 fdisk

4. readdir() loses entries on ramfs and tmpfs

5. Linux/Win95/Dos 6.22 Co-existance?

6. tracepath only working one way on LAN

7. AHA-1542B, Linux (Red Hat or Slackware latest stable kernels) and DOS 6.22

8. Should chdev -T work on ethernet adapter

9. UMSDOS & DOS 6.22 problems mounting from linux + ext2

10. SUCCESS! WITH OS/2 DOS 6.22 & LINUX

11. Linux,dos 6.22, Win95, NT4 Server

12. Installing Mandrake Linux on a Pentium 100 w/DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11

13. DOS 6.22 THANK YOU