Two Linux Questions

Post by fheitk.. » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 16:12:08

I have two questions.  One is I want to compile XFree86 to use PEX support.
I have an 8mb 486DX266 machine with an 11mb swap partition.  Can I compile
X on this machine?  How long will it take?  Is there a HOWTO on this?
If I change the site.def file (or whatever) to use PEX does the make world
command proceed to recompile everything or just certain files?

Question two involves a portable computer that a friend has.  In order to
get video out to a color monitor, he has to run a TSR from DOS to
redirect the video to the output port.  Obviously, this same procedure
does not work with Linux.  Anybody know a way around this?

Thanks!

-Fred Heitkamp

Two Linux Questions

Post by Alan C » Thu, 27 Oct 1994 18:46:25

>Question two involves a portable computer that a friend has.  In order to
>get video out to a color monitor, he has to run a TSR from DOS to
>redirect the video to the output port.  Obviously, this same procedure
>does not work with Linux.  Anybody know a way around this?

Normally these sort of programs just do a couple of I/O instructions. This
means that firstly you can normally get the info from the tech support
people, and secondly you can run the thing with a load of debugging under
the DOS emulator and find out what ports it uses and then write a matching
Linux program.

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

1. Two Linux questions

Hello,

I have recently installed RedHat 6.2. I have two questions

1. Although I specified in the /etc/inittab file that I want to run X
Windows on startup, it still starts up with the console. What can I do to
change this?

2. I have tried to mount a vfat partition, and want it permanently mounted
because it contains data I want to use both with Windows and Linux. I am the
owner of the mount directory. Now during the first session all is ok and I
can access the partition (permissions are set to 755). But when I reboot I
find that the partition, however mounted, is not accessible (its permissions
are set to 022 (!)). Attempts to change the permissions have failed, and
even remounting does not seem to help.

Can somebody help me please?

Thanks in Advance,

Richard

2. Standalone Readline Library version 2.0 released

3. Two linux questions

4. How to control MMU with FreeBSD

5. Two Linux questions !!!

6. regular expression in C programming

7. two dsl connections, two routers, dual nics on linux box , want to run two websites

8. Cannot get VirtualButtons=3 mode under linux

9. 2 second question - 2 second answer

10. Newbie connect question: Two PCs, both RH 5.1, two NE2000 cards: failure to ping!!!!!!!!!!!

11. How to setup two terminals, two keyboards, two mouses?

12. two routers (two wans) connecting to one lan using two nics.

13. two drives, two linux systems, lilo setup ?