how do add a driver for any hardware

Post by gopa » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 03:41:14

hai,

when i need to add a driver for any hardware  that is not there by
default in linux box.

if the hardware company gives the driver or if i download it how will
i add to kernel.

bye

1. Q: Watchdog hardware driver - anyone done?

I've to write a driver for a watchdog card, "Watchdog 1" by Quancom Electronic.
This card works as follows:

A specific address (or port or whatever...) must be written to repeatedly within
small time intervals (about 1 sec). If the watchdog doesn't get notified in time,
it will hard-reset the PC.

Has anyone done somthing like this?
Where would be a good point for doing the write operation? I'm thinking of the
schedule() function, or a timer.

The goal is that a server machine can be left unattended for weeks. The watchdog
should "detect" kernel failures, hangups etc. and reset the machine (assuming
that a hard reset will result in a working state automatically).

-- Hannes

2. ATI Mach64 ?

3. Adding a new DOS partition to a HD with DOS/Linux

4. Help! I want to put together my 1st system

5. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

6. Temporary font server with csh script, good idea?

7. driver: receiving interrupt from another drivers hardware

8. Please Help! High ithr and intr and wt values on SMP system

9. need to add network driver to installation driver diskette

10. Possible to derive Linux drivers from DOS drivers?

11. [RFCA] Sound: adding /proc/driver/{vendor}/{dev_pci}/ac97 entry for es1371 driver

12. HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE