Philips LM-205 not accessible by Yggdrasil CD-ROM

Philips LM-205 not accessible by Yggdrasil CD-ROM

Post by Samer Samand » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 01:24:53

I have a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 Soundcard and a Philips LMS206(5) CD-ROM.

I have tried to use the boot disk image on the CD-ROM for the philips drive but it still does not work.  Even tried every configuration possible with MSCDEX but still the CD-ROM won't mount.   Please help me here as I do want o install Linux but it seems as if my drive is not supported in any way.

1. Looking for a Philips LMS 206 (not 205) CD-ROM driver

I've just picked up a Philips LMS 206 double speed driver (Fry's was
selling them for $89).  After an afternoon of fun setting jumpers,
seating boards and savoring the joys of DOS once again, I managed to
get DOS to recognize the CD-ROM as the D: drive.

On the linux side, I upgraded to the 1.0 kernel (where do you find out
which patch level?) and folded in the patches for the lmscd driver.
When I boot this hybridized kernel, it hangs when trying to recognize
the CD-ROM.  Turning on debugging showed that lms_interrupt() was
getting called repeatedly (> 1000 times/sec) with the cd state == 0.
The 1.0 kernel without the CD-ROM driver works just fine.

While I may have made a mistake in applying the patches by hand, I
doubt that this is the problem --- mis-applying the patches would more
likely have caused build problems due to undefined device numbers and
such.

Could anyone either point me at a 206 driver or enough technical info
on the differences between the 205 and 206 to figure out how to patch
things up?

Unfortunately, I don't have a 205 handy, so I can't tell you whether
my mutant kernel will, in fact, drive a 205.  I suspect it would,
since the 205 driver is compatible with both pre and post 1.0.  In
other words, the only problems should be in getting it to build in the
first place.  I would be glad to beta (or alpha) test someone else's
attempt --- the 205 driver is nice and clean, it just doesn't seem to
recognize the 206.

Other cards in the system: IDE controller/IO, extra serial port,
SoundBlaster Pro, SVGA, internal modem.  I haven't tried rebooting
linux with all these pulled out, but I did have all but the IDE and
SVGA out while mucking with DOS.  Didn't seem to make a difference.
Also, I doubt it's an IRQ or IO address conflict, since DOS works (if
you call that working) and the driver is able to get the IRQ when it
requests it from the kernel.

Thanks
--
                                | Easily amused

                                |               Perpetually confused

2. Solaris Newbie ksh woes

3. Linux driver for Philips/LMS 205 CD-ROM drive

4. <<ARGH<<got this 2 file-100 emails each....use ??? to get unique, diff or sed/awk 3rd file.

5. CD-Rom driver Philips cm 205

6. looking for development-work

7. Does Linux support the CD-ROM drive Philips CM-205?

8. 'Instant Internet'

9. Support for a Philips CM-205 1x CD-ROM drive?

10. Slackware 1.2.2 doesn't see Philips CM 205 CD-ROM

11. Drivers for Philips LMS-205 CD-ROM-Drive?

12. looking 4 CM 205 MS Philips CD driver

13. Talon CM 205 CD-ROM