Lyx and xforms!!

Post by bo » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:48:19

Hi all,
I have this problem:
I have Redhat 7.3 installed and i'm trying to install Lyx.
I downloaded lyx-1.3.2.tar.gz e I launched ./configure
but it return this error:

** Cannot find libforms or libxforms. Please check that the xforms
library
is correctly installed on your system.

** Cannot find forms.h. Please check that the forms library
is correctly installed on your system.
Then I downloaded xforms-1.0-1.i386.rpm and I installed it. I checked
and I find libforms.so.1 and libforms.so.1.0
in /usr/X11R6/lib/, but I didn't find forms.h.
Then I relaunched ./configure but it return the same error message!!!
Where is the problem?
How can I solve it??
Can someone help me??
Thanks!

Lyx and xforms!!

Post by V. Turne » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:38:27

> Hi all,
> I have this problem:
> I have Redhat 7.3 installed and i'm trying to install Lyx.
> I downloaded lyx-1.3.2.tar.gz e I launched ./configure
> but it return this error:

> ** Cannot find libforms or libxforms. Please check that the xforms
> library
> is correctly installed on your system.

> ** Cannot find forms.h. Please check that the forms library
> is correctly installed on your system.
> Then I downloaded xforms-1.0-1.i386.rpm and I installed it. I checked
> and I find libforms.so.1 and libforms.so.1.0
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/, but I didn't find forms.h.
> Then I relaunched ./configure but it return the same error message!!!
> Where is the problem?
> How can I solve it??
> Can someone help me??
> Thanks!

1)  Make sure you have /usr/X11R6/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf (likely).
2) Run /sbin/ldconfig.  This will update /etc/ld.so.cache with the new
libraries you just added.
3)  Run "/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libforms" to confirm the system can now
find them.
4) Now your configure script should find these libraries.  If it still
doesn't I would examine the configure file itself -- perhaps it's looking
for libraries in only certain directories.
5)  forms.h is part of rpm package libforms1-devel.  Redhat doesn't have any
rpms for this under www.rpmfind.net, but chances are you can get away with
using one of the mandrake ones.

Lyx and xforms!!

Post by David Utidjia » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:10:27

>> Hi all,
>> I have this problem:
>> I have Redhat 7.3 installed and i'm trying to install Lyx.
>> I downloaded lyx-1.3.2.tar.gz e I launched ./configure
>> but it return this error:

>> ** Cannot find libforms or libxforms. Please check that the xforms
>> library
>> is correctly installed on your system.

>> ** Cannot find forms.h. Please check that the forms library
>> is correctly installed on your system.
>> Then I downloaded xforms-1.0-1.i386.rpm and I installed it. I checked
>> and I find libforms.so.1 and libforms.so.1.0
>> in /usr/X11R6/lib/, but I didn't find forms.h.
>> Then I relaunched ./configure but it return the same error message!!!
>> Where is the problem?
>> How can I solve it??
>> Can someone help me??
>> Thanks!

> 1)  Make sure you have /usr/X11R6/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf (likely).
> 2) Run /sbin/ldconfig.  This will update /etc/ld.so.cache with the new
> libraries you just added.
> 3)  Run "/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libforms" to confirm the system can now
> find them.
> 4) Now your configure script should find these libraries.  If it still
> doesn't I would examine the configure file itself -- perhaps it's looking
> for libraries in only certain directories.
> 5)  forms.h is part of rpm package libforms1-devel.  Redhat doesn't have any
> rpms for this under www.rpmfind.net, but chances are you can get away with
> using one of the mandrake ones.

I have done quite a few builds and installs of LyX... I use it extensively
at work and at home. All the stuff V said is basically correct. Red Hat
7.3 does not have some of the required stuff. Not sure whwere you picked
up the tarball but... I have pre-built RPMs available for Red Hat 7.3 at:
http://physics.ramapo.edu/downloads/LyX/RedHat-7.3/RPMS/
if you perefer to build from source
http://physics.ramapo.edu/downloads/LyX/RedHat-7.3/SRPMS/
Naturally, install the xforms/libforms stuff first.

Please note there were some bugs in the .spec files from the originals that
I got from the LyX main download site which I fixed. These bugs are well
known on the lyx-users mailing lists. The binaries were built on a RH7.3
box. Either set should build and/or install cleanly. Let me know if you
have any problems.

If you want nice antialiased screenfonts and slightly less buggy interface
than xforms then the version of LyX built against Qt is very good. Works
best in Red Hat 9.

For everything LyX see http://www.lyx.org

-DU-...etc...

1. HELP: Lyx + xforms

There is version 4.7 on my ftp space, ftp.netaxs.com in /web/people/dlj0/.  It
is widely available.  It's not part of the XFree distribution, but should be
on most linux distributions.

Why do you need to "make"?  The library is supplied as a binary.

--

Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

2. framebuffer programming

3. XForms and LyX

4. Linux WWW cache

5. LyX-0.10.7 - LyX is a WYSIWYG

6. The /dev directory is essentially a list, right?

7. Trouble printing with lyx - where to put lyx.sty??

8. Help with Xconfig and P9000 (Diamond Viper PCI)

9. Lyx *is* the coolest : was: Oh dear, LyX isn't very good at all

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. Help on compiling XFORMS

12. Xforms lib

13. Xforms 0.88?