Swap file on an msdos or nfs file system.

Swap file on an msdos or nfs file system.

Post by E.A.Neonak » Sun, 17 Oct 1993 01:09:02

Is it possible for the swap file to reside on an msdos file system, or
on an nfs server disk?
That would help running linux on  a PC that boots from floppy and its own
hard disk is dedicated to msdos.
When I tried it, swapon complained that it could not find the swap signature,
although I have used mkswap.
If anybody has tried to setup such a swap file, I would appreciate it to
know his experiences.

E.A.Neonakis

Swap file on an msdos or nfs file system.

Post by Robert Juha » Thu, 04 Nov 1993 04:44:39

Try

  dd if=/dev/hd?? of=filename count=BlockCount
  mkswap swapfile BlockCount
  swapon filename

Regards