Post by Ray Lie » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 02:27:41

I had asked:

> I would like to save large amounts of data somewhere other than on my
> hard disk, and yet have the data accessible directly from Linux by
> mounting and then having the files available as part of the system
> directory structure (i.e., without having to copy them back to hard disk).

> My system has a CD-ROM drive and a DAT tape unit.

> I am aware of having "one off" CD-ROM's made by companies specializing in that.

> Has anyone other options to suggest? Anyone tried CD-ROMs that you write
> yourself? Also I have heard of Bernoulli (sp?) devices ...

> Please let me know what you use for such situations.

> If you wish to cut down on postings you can send me email and
> I will post a summary.

> Thanks.

> Ray Liere

I realize, from the responses, that I should have explicitly said that I was
interested in methods people were using successfully under Linux. My fault
for not being clear on this.

The issue of "how much data" does not have a well-defined answer in my case,
but I would like it to be in "units" of at least 100Mb.

Here is the promised summary of responses:
- - - - -
How much data?  Will a 20MB Floptical work?  A 128 MB Magneto-Optical?
A 650MB Magneto-Optical? A 1.2 gb MO?  How about a PCMCIA hard-drive?

Look thru a computer mag like Byte or Computer Shopper -- you'll get
lots of ideas.
- - - - -
Wow,  this depends on how much data you have, remember the rule
price/mb is inversly related to speed of access.

So, if you wanted to have a *huge* amount of data available very fast
you can get a nice big RAID array (this is the high end)

Or, you can go with CD-ROM or MO devices, there are generally very
expensive to set up (high drive cost) but the media is pretty cheap.

Have you thought about large drives?  HD space is running about
$.50/MB now days which is pretty cheap.
- - - - - end

1. Recommendations Sought: High Capacity Offline Storage

I would like to save large amounts of data somewhere other than on my
hard disk, and yet have the data accessible directly from Linux by
mounting and then having the files available as part of the system
directory structure (i.e., without having to copy them back to hard disk).

My system has a CD-ROM drive and a DAT tape unit.

I am aware of having "one off" CD-ROM's made by companies specializing in that.

Has anyone other options to suggest? Anyone tried CD-ROMs that you write
yourself? Also I have heard of Bernoulli (sp?) devices ...

Please let me know what you use for such situations.

If you wish to cut down on postings you can send me email and
I will post a summary.

Thanks.

Ray Liere

2. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 2MB, S3-968

3. High capacity tape storage

4. HELP! Save me from NIS!

5. Found High Capacity Data Storage- Need Info

6. Kernel CONFIG_SOUND gives compile error!

7. sddr-31 usb-storage flash reader/writer capacity?

8. Move "used FPU status" into new non-atomic thread_info->status field.

9. Greater Storage capacity

10. storage capacity planning HELP!!

11. Storage capacity of 4mm tape?

12. - High capacity disk partionning

13. linux support for high-capacity enhanced IDE hard drives?