Mirroring disk and LVM

Post by Jaysheel Me » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:06:25

Hi All,

I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
with LVM.

I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
extension of LVM but not about mirroring?

do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)

Thanks
Jaysheel

Mirroring disk and LVM

Post by Xyer » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:26:20

> Hi All,

> I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
> with LVM.

> I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
> LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
> extension of LVM but not about mirroring?

> do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)

> Thanks
> Jaysheel

There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
url:

http://www.google.com

I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
setup.

Mirroring disk and LVM

Post by Jaysheel Me » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:11:18

I can use the RAID-1 but my problem is I have installed the operating
system using LVM and without using mirror disk.

Now I have the volume group but it is not an md device. I want to now
create a mirror without reinstalling the operating system and
configure the LVM and mirror both.

Thanks
Jaysheel

> > Hi All,

> > I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
> > with LVM.

> > I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
> > LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
> > extension of LVM but not about mirroring?

> > do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)

> > Thanks
> > Jaysheel

> There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
> a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
> url:

> http://www.google.com

> I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
> told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
> It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
> setup.

Mirroring disk and LVM

Post by ro » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:54:30

> > Hi All,

> > I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
> > with LVM.

> > I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
> > LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
> > extension of LVM but not about mirroring?

> > do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)

> > Thanks
> > Jaysheel

> There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
> a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
> url:

> http://www.google.com

> I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
> told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
> It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
> setup.

Here is a better answer than the previous "search google" quote.

http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/Software-RAID.HOWTO-4.html#s...

This section gives the basis for converting an existing system (non raid) to raid.

Mirroring disk and LVM

Post by Ken Kauffma » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:34:41

| I can use the RAID-1 but my problem is I have installed the operating
| system using LVM and without using mirror disk.
|
| Now I have the volume group but it is not an md device. I want to now
| create a mirror without reinstalling the operating system and
| configure the LVM and mirror both.
|
| Thanks
| Jaysheel
|

| > > Hi All,
| > >
| > > I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
| > > with LVM.
| > >
| > > I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
| > > LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
| > > extension of LVM but not about mirroring?
| > >
| > > do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)
| > >
| > > Thanks
| > > Jaysheel
| >
| > There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
| > a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
| > url:
| >
| > http://www.google.com
| >
| > I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
| > told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
| > It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
| > setup.

It is not recommended that you use LVM and Software RAID together. There are
many reports of failure and unreliability in this configuration.  This is
assuming you are using LVM on top of RAID.

ken k