TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe

Post by Bernard Josep » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:40:20

I'm building a model to measure the TCO of running Linux on an IBM mainframe
for my company.  I'd like to partition excess capacity that we have on an
IBM mainframe machine and use Linux to support my file and print environment
that I currently have running on an NT server farm.

I'd like to engage/contract a consulting firm or independent consultant that
has implemented this scenario to help me build the model.

Does anyone know of a firm/consultant that meets this profile that they
might refer to me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph Bernard

TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe

Post by Tom Neilso » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:15:19

Good starting point ....

http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux390/inde...

and / or  http://linas.org/linux/i370.html for the "do-it-yourself" type.

Both are quite good in fact.

Regards,

Quote:> I'm building a model to measure the TCO of running Linux on an IBM
mainframe
> for my company.  I'd like to partition excess capacity that we have on an
> IBM mainframe machine and use Linux to support my file and print
environment
> that I currently have running on an NT server farm.

> I'd like to engage/contract a consulting firm or independent consultant
that
> has implemented this scenario to help me build the model.

> Does anyone know of a firm/consultant that meets this profile that they
> might refer to me?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Joseph Bernard

TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe

Post by Dustin Purye » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:45:17

Quote:>Good starting point ....

>http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux390/inde...

>and / or  http://linas.org/linux/i370.html for the "do-it-yourself" type.

>Both are quite good in fact.

I saw that the earlier poster was looking for a consultant that has
experience with Linux on the zSeries, and I'm not that guy
unfortunately (yet!). That being said, I recently attended a
presentation by an IBM partner about Linux on their
equipment--xSeries, iSeries, and zSeries--and I am hyped. There could
be some serious server consolidation benefits here, and I'm getting
ready to jump into the mix.

Last night I read the IBM Red Book on implementing Linux on the
iSeries, and frankly this is a no-brainer. I am definitely looking to
push into this arena.

Who else is pushing Linux on the iSeries? Are there any good community
sites where this topic can be discussed in detail? I'd like to get a
good conversation going. My expertise is with UNIX, but man does IBM
look like they are getting their act together, and with LPAR this
should all be relatively easy.

I was also told today by a local IBM partner that you will be able to
replace OS/400 with AIX on the iSeries in the near-future on the
primary partition. While this may or may not float your boat, it does
show that IBM is pushing UNIX in a big way.

---
Dustin Puryear
Puryear Information Technology <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.

1. TCO of Linux running on IBM Mainframe

I'm building a model for my company to determine the TCO of running Linux on
IBM Mainframes.  I would like to engage/contract a consulting firm or
independent consultant that has experience with partitioning excess
mainframe capacity and running Linux to support current functions, i.e. file
and print,  I'm running on an NT server farm.

Does anyone know of a firm or consultant that might be able to help me?

Joseph Bernard

2. KDE 3.0 doesn't show!

3. TCO Linux on IBM

4. Subsidiary mail machine not using mail relay - help! :-)

5. Free Trial of Linux on IBM zSeries Mainframe

6. Installing a Driver for a SiS650 video adapter

7. Free Access to Linux on IBM zSeries Mainframe

8. XDMCP fatal error: Manager unwilling ???

9. Free Access to Linux on IBM Mainframe

10. IBM Linux mainframe to displace NT, Sun, HP boxes at Venezuelan bank

11. Free Access to Linux on IBM Mainframe

12. Test out Linux on a IBM mainframe

13. Access to Linux for IBM mainframe