FT60 tape backup speeds

Post by SLIPch.. » Mon, 09 Jan 1995 06:02:40

I just recentlt connected my old reliable FT60 tape backup to Linux ( using
kernel 1.1.59 ) and proceeded to backup about 180 megs.  It took about 3
hours to get it done!  Is this normal?  Can I get it down quicker somehow?
At the moment I'm looking for a used DAT scsi to go with my system but since
it requires $$$, I guess I'll make due with this for now.

FT60 tape backup speeds

Post by g.. » Fri, 13 Jan 1995 11:02:38

>I just recentlt connected my old reliable FT60 tape backup to Linux ( using
>kernel 1.1.59 ) and proceeded to backup about 180 megs.  It took about 3
>hours to get it done!  Is this normal?  Can I get it down quicker somehow?

3hours!!  35megs for me takes about 15min's if I use tar -b3000 -cvf
...etc.  The large buffer helps quite a bit since the tape can stream
much better.  There's another utility called edd which is also supposed
to be an enhanced buffer.

Quote:>At the moment I'm looking for a used DAT scsi to go with my system but since
>it requires $$$, I guess I'll make due with this for now.

Are we all :).

Kin Lau

1. Backup speed to DAT-tape rotten, ideas?

Hi all,

I have a HP C1533A SCSI DDS-3 tape connected to a P166 running
FreeBSD 3.3 release.

No matter what I do, I can't get the backup speed over 1-2 MB/min.
I've tried dump, pax, and
find . -xdev -depth -print | cpio -o | dd of=/dev/nrsa0 bs=10k etc

I've experimented with blocksizes between 512b and 64k.

I keep looking at iostat, and the transfer rate rises to about
150k/s, then it appears to overrun the tape, the tape clicks
and whirrs a bit, and restarts with a transfer rate of ~5k/s.

What bugs me is that the Backup program supplied with Windows 98
gets a throughput of ~350k/s with the same hardware, without the
clicking and whirring.

Any ideas ?

The SCSI host adapter is an Adaptec 2940, the PC's got 32MB RAM,
only ran X in addition to the backup. No huge servers running.
mt <dev> stat reports that HW compression is on, and that things
look mostly good.

C'mon guys, help me beat Microsoft..

  -Terje

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Help! trouble with "rm" T "rm"

3. Tape backup speed FreeBSD v. Linux

4. Strange occurence of the "BIOS32 error"

5. New features in Solaris 2.7?

6. Which backup tool to backup huge filesystems to tape?

7. Mouse troubles... arrgh!

8. Solstice Backup 5.1 / DMO 2.1/Oracle 8.1.5: Tape backup failed : Need of 5.5 Upgrade ?

9. How to designate full backup to specific tape using Solstice Backup?

10. how backup multiple filesystems onto 1 tape using backup by i-node ?

11. WangDAT 2Gb backup, after 250Mb to tape message "END off TAPE" ??

12. Star tape size for multi tape backups question