Kernel 1.1.64 - "Couldn't get a free page"

Post by Matti Aarn » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 07:38:45

>--text follows this line--
>I am running 1.1.64 kernel on pentium with 32M memory and buslogic 946C SCSI
>controller. From time to time I get the following error in the
>/usr/adm/messages file. Any idea what is going wrong ??
>I know for a fact that the swap partition is huge (about 70Mbytes) and was not
>completely used.

>Nov 24 00:02:14 Vashti kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....
>Nov 24 00:03:17 Vashti last message repeated 2 times
>Nov 24 00:03:28 Vashti kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....
>Nov 24 00:04:39 Vashti kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

        When these happen, press:  Sift+ScrollLock
        and then issue command:   dmesg | more
        and you should see more details about the memory..
        (Yes, this is of the more obscure details -- I did
         need quite a while hunting to find it after I had
         spotted those routines in the kernel..)

Quote:>thanks for any suggestions.

>-Serge

1. getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Hi.

I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.
This message shows on the Alt-F4 screen.
I'm installing RedHat 4.2 from a store-bought RedHat
software package (not bundled with a "regular" book,
just 250 page guide).

The system is a 486-25 with 8MB of RAM and a
730MB Quantum SCSI-2 HDD.  The CDROM drive
is a Mountain CD7 changer (I'm only using disc
tray 1, and it accesses the drive just fine for the
install up to the point where I get the above message).
I switch to Alt-F4 to see this message after the Alt-F1
screen remains stationary for a long period of time.

The SCSI controller is an old clone (Tekram) that has
caching enabled (for some reason, I used to be able
to get into the Tekram configuration on boot-up
by pressing F2 or F6 to enable/disable disk caching
and setup other SCSI parameters, but can't now, so
I'm stuck with caching enabled on the hard disk
device).

I get the error while installing packages during the
initial install.  At first, I selected "Everything" and had
a 95MB swap partition.  Then I tried selecting just
Emacs and NFS and using about a 140MB swap
partition.  Results were the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and
thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cameron

2. newfs and minfree

3. Netscape bug

4. "Couldn't get a free page" kernel errors

5. Redhat 73 mozilla 0.9.9 and java plugin

6. Please Help: "Couldn't Get a Free Page" Problem!!!

7. FS: Gobs of Digital Monitors. Older, newer, etc.

8. Request about Error msg: "Couldn't get a free page"

9. Problem with the message "Couldn't get a free page ....."

10. Returning from ioctl: "Couldn't get a free page" ?????

11. "Couldn't get a free page....."???

12. Crashes: "Couldn't get a free page....."