lpf problem

Post by Chi C Ch » Tue, 10 Jan 1995 01:56:15

Hi. I am trying to make the filter (if=/usr/lib/lpf) in my printcap work to
prevent the staircase printing. The lpf is found in Printing-HOWTO with my
SLACKWARE2.1.0. The lpd complains about 'can't execute it' in my syslog file
each time lpr is invoked. Nothing is queued. There is no problem to run
lpf individually. I'm wondering whatelse I should try to make my HPLJ4L
work. Thank you!
--

lpf problem

Post by Joe Slo » Wed, 11 Jan 1995 05:17:34

Quote:>Hi. I am trying to make the filter (if=/usr/lib/lpf) in my printcap work to
>prevent the staircase printing. The lpf is found in Printing-HOWTO with my
>SLACKWARE2.1.0. The lpd complains about 'can't execute it' in my syslog file
>each time lpr is invoked. Nothing is queued. There is no problem to run
>lpf individually. I'm wondering whatelse I should try to make my HPLJ4L
>work. Thank you!

assuming that /dev/lp1 is your printer, try this:

 cat <some_file> | /usr/bin/lpf > /dev/lp1

If it doesn't work, the permissions are wrong on your filter -
they should be something like 0755
If it does work, there is still some problem in your printcap -

My hp laserjet 4m has been a real workhorse -
feel free to check out the input filter package on

 dostoevsky.ucr.edu:/pub/linux/utils/printing/newif.tgz

--

 A linux machine! because a 486    / ACCELERATE your Windoze NT box?
 is a terrible thing to waste!     / -9.8 m/s^2 works quite well!!!

lpf problem

Post by Chi C Ch » Wed, 11 Jan 1995 12:00:26

Thank you all! I think I found the problem. I cut the lpf from Printing-HOWTO
but forgot to eliminate the extra space before the first line #!/bin/sh. It
works fine now. Thank you for your replies again!

--

lpf problem

Post by Ronald Stubb » Fri, 13 Jan 1995 01:54:10

I have made the following entry in my printercap for the hp4:

hp4t|hp4text:\
    :rm=hp4:\
    :rp=text
qquit
sdjflkjsdlk\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

1. problem with lpf

        I have an HP Deskjet 500C printer, I copied the script to avoid the
'staircase effect' in the printing howto to /usr/lib/lpf (actually I tried
both) but it doesn't work. The version that adds ^M with sed sprays a few
^Ms and random garbage to the page and quits.  The script that is supposed
to tell the printer to add the CR's prints part of the script itself and
dies. What am I missing/doing wrong?
        I did manage to print fine by running 'flip' on a file and catting
it to /lp1.

-Liz
--
Liz Stokes         | Ilaine's E-Z Garb Workshop ...  Ok, it's a year and a
Ilaine de Cameron  | half later, you've dealt with dirty sheep, dirty peasants
                   | and infinite kittens. Now comes the part that takes

2. ip_dynaddr problem

3. Problems with /usr/bin/lpf

4. Question about Internet Services

5. LPRng and lpf

6. SNG help and IP forwarding in AIX 4.1.4?

7. Open socket for LPF: Invalid argument (dhcpd)

8. Rename / Move file's

9. dhcpd: Open a socket for LPF: Invalid argument

10. printing latin1 using lpf

11. problems, problems, 37.5 GB, problems, 1024, problems...

12. Installation problems, problems, problems!

13. PPP stands for Problem Problem Problem