Made a clone of Linux server and that clone is very ill....

Made a clone of Linux server and that clone is very ill....

Post by Leszek Dubi » Fri, 16 May 2003 15:49:59

There is sever with two identical disks. Let's call
them Disk_A and Disk_B. When Disk_A is connected
(only this one) to server everything is okey.
I have cloned Disk_A to identical Disk_B with
Norton Ghost, and then connected it to sever
exclusively. After restart I get Lilo error

"L 01 01 01 01".

Can you help me... I have searched Net, but
nothing have found... What should I do?

Leszek

Post by renrut » Sat, 17 May 2003 05:35:57

> There is sever with two identical disks. Let's call
> them Disk_A and Disk_B. When Disk_A is connected
> (only this one) to server everything is okey.
> I have cloned Disk_A to identical Disk_B with
> Norton Ghost, and then connected it to sever
> exclusively. After restart I get Lilo error

> "L 01 01 01 01".

> Can you help me... I have searched Net, but
> nothing have found... What should I do?

> Leszek

Sounds like the MBR was not copied.  You can issue a command like the
following to see if the MBR's are the same or not:

# dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 | hexdump -C

Of cousre you have to have a running linux system with both drives
available to do this.

In short, you probably need to run lilo against Disk_B to update the MBR
for that disk.

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. HTTP socket accept fails too much

3. Window scrolling prob

4. Cloning LSM disks and using the clones on 5.1A

5. Change Shell Permanantly

6. Making a clone drive

7. cd-player for scsi?

8. Making a generic clone

9. Making clones of arcade games, what is legal?

10. Exchange Server clone for Linux??

11. A clone() based WWW server for Linux is here!

12. Clone Ignite Server (Administrator tool for Linux)