Redirecting bootup messages in PL14 kernel

Redirecting bootup messages in PL14 kernel

Post by JL Gom » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 04:28:51

Under PL13 of the kernel, bootup messages were redirected to
/usr/adm/kernel.

However, under PL14 of the kernel, no such logging of bootup messages
are stored in /var/adm.

How does one activate the capturing of bootup messages in PL14 of
the kernel?

I'm running Slackware 1.1.1

Much thanks for the help!
--

1. How to redirect bootup messages to a serial terminal

Hi, folks,

I had a Linux box without video card. I used a serial terminal connected
to the serial port (COM1/ttyS0) of the box. The 'getty' program works
fine for this serial terminal.

However, I want to see the bootup messages generated by rc.sysvinit,
rc.3/S* and rc.local on my serial terminal. Of course it's impossible
to see the messages generated by the kernel itself when it loads.
But I think process 1 'init' reads /etc/inittab after the kernel boots
up and it forks 'getty' prcess according to the entry I specified
in /etc/inittab. The executions of those rc files such as rc.sysvinit
should be after the running of 'getty' process, but I couldn't see
the messages generated by those rc files before I saw the login
prompt.

I wonder if it's possible to see those mesages generated by the
rc files on the serial terminal.

Thanks in advance.

-Song

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. GeForce2 recommendations?

3. How to redirect bootup messages to a serial terminal?

4. Wanted: monitoring tool

5. FreeBSD 4.3 released

6. what da heck is a synth0?

7. pl14+cluster: doing fsck at every bootup

8. How to log the kernel bootup messages...

9. kernel bootup message

10. Strange messages at bootup after rebuilding 2.0.0 kernel

11. How to log the kernel bootup messages...