floppy disk problem: mount, mcopy, etc

Post by Jingsong » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 02:33:46

Hi,

I find that, I can only mount and umount floppy  disk by root.

After I mount it, I can not write file to  it as user.

I can do "cp" to write file on floppy as root (this is only way I can use now),

but I can not do "mcopy or mdir" even as root, it says:
init: open: Device or resources Busy.

I try to  "chmod 777 /mnt", it does not  work(as root),

What kind  of adjustment I have to make?(I like it works as sunworksation.)

Thanks.

JL
--
松松

Post by M.A.Coop » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 00:10:40

: Hi,

: I find that, I can only mount and umount floppy  disk by root.

: After I mount it, I can not write file to  it as user.

: I can do "cp" to write file on floppy as root (this is only way I can use now),

: but I can not do "mcopy or mdir" even as root, it says:
: init: open: Device or resources Busy.

: I try to  "chmod 777 /mnt", it does not  work(as root),

: What kind  of adjustment I have to make?(I like it works as sunworksation.)

: Thanks.

: JL
: --
: 松松

                Hi there,
                   The reason mcopy doe`nt work seems to be that you have mounted the device.
mcopy normally accesses the device directly without mounting it, therefor if the device is mounted,
it will be locked by the kernel, and you will get the above error message. Try using mcopy etc with the
floppy drive unmounted.

                Hope this helps,
                       Martin

*       "Real programmers don't write documentation"          *

Post by Anton To » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 07:04:32

: I find that, I can only mount and umount floppy  disk by root.
............blablabla..........
: I try to  "chmod 777 /mnt", it does not  work(as root),
: What kind  of adjustment I have to make?(I like it works as sunworksation.)

man 8 mount
        will tell you alot about mounting options

--

1. floppy: mcopy vs mount

Would this be more appropriate in another newsgroup (c.o.l.hardware?)...

I noticed a difference between
   mcopy a:* .
and
   mount /dev/a
   cp /dev/a/* .
   umount /dev/a
when I was copying a 1.44M file off a 1.44M floppy drive.  This
surprised me since I thought these should be more or less equivalent in
throughput.  What I noticed was that mount/cp/umount seem to "slip" or
"lurch" every once in a while (every 5 seconds?).  It appeared that the
floppy drive was reseeking.  The data was copied just fine, but I
suspect that it took longer to mount/cp/umount than it would have with
mcopy.  When I used mcopy, it worked as expected -- just a steady
chugging along to copy the entire file.

Any ideas on what is happening and how to fix it?

P.S. Do I need to sync before umount'ing when I'm writing to a floppy?
Or does umount do that automatically?

2. Tuning Java process running on Linux

3. Problem reading floppy using mcopy

4. curses/terminfo problem

5. Problems mounting DOS floppy disk

6. NOTICE : Sdsk

7. DOS format floppy disk driver mount problem

8. Boot chooser to go to disk2

9. Mcopy / floppy drives and misc.

10. mcopy-ing linux_bs.bin on a MS-DOS formated floppy

11. man pages for mcopy etc ?

12. mounting cdrom and floppy drives, passwords, etc.

13. SUCCESS: automatic floppy/cdrom etc. mount